Chapter 29

"Aleyha!" That was papa's whisper. My head lifted on its own accord following his whisper. His eyes wide with disbelief; and at that moment, I wanted nothing more than the earth to open up and swallow me. I had never wanted to see such an expression on my father's face for me. It felt like all his trust in me had gone in a jiffy.

"Papa," I shook my head frantically, as I picked up my lehenga and I hurried down the stage and towards him.

"Papa, please listen to me once." I neared him and tried to hold his hand but he stepped back from me, totally avoiding me.

"What happened? Why are you all quite now? Wali? Do you have something else to say? Now shouldn't you punch her, too?" That was Umer's mother and the mockery in her tone did no good to the situation.

"Saba? You all were unaware?" Shabana aunty came forward, with her face scrunched up in worry- her acting was too good. "Aleyha beta, why did you took such a step? Saba larki tou achi khaasi hai phir aise kya wajah hai jo ek shaadi shuda mard se shaadi ke liye raazi hogaye aur kisi ko bataya bhi nahin? Was there any problem, beta?"  She has always, always hated my khandaan, though not openly but her hasad from us could be clearly felt- she must have always wanted to witness something like this but never got a chance. And now, she got the chance.

If only Wali would have stayed quiet! 

She must be elated that she was one of the many witnesses of my khandaan's ruswai. I don't know what she'll be doing and saying to everyone after this. I wish I had the ability to go back and change time; I would've traded anything in exchange for this ruswai.

"Han. She is right, Saba. We are also worried about Aleyha beti. She had grown up in front of us. When she doesn't have a problem in marrying an already married man then why is Wali creating such an issue?" Rukhsana aunty said, continuing with her friend's facade.

But, I didn't care about any of them or their questions or their so-called concerns for me, right now. IMy only concern was my father right now. I kept staring at him; paying no heed to the aunties, but he ignored me like a plague. My eyes not once wavered from his face as I waited for just a glance from him so that my tears could weaken his facade and so that I could keep myself sane.

"Rukhsana aunty! It would be good that you focus more on where your daughters are at this time than worrying about anyone else's daughter. I hope I wouldn't have to elaborate on it."Zoha moved down the stage and stood in front of her; looking at her in the eye.

"Why, Zoha? Why are you getting so restless? Tell everyone the real reason that why does your brother has such a problem with this marriage even though the 'dulhan'  herself is ready?" Javeria came forward and turned Zoha towards her.

I gripped my dupatta tightly as my mind processed what they were implying. And, I could feel my veins pulsating in my mind.

"Your silence is not good for anyone. It is better that I reveal the truth. Do you know what this is?" As soon as she finished her sentence, she opened a paper, bringing it to Zoha's eye level. Her eyes widen as she tried to snatch the paper away. My face paled and I shut my eyes tight as I realized what was in her hand. She held my deepest weakness in her hands. A mistake I never know will make me regret my existence.

My letter!

A scene roamed in front of my eyes. 

Her looking at my hand constantly- her eyes connecting with me through the mirror-her turning back again and again while we left the room and then, as she excused herself after bringing me down.

If she had the letter all along then why didn't she show them before?

My eyes snapped open at Javeria's shriek, travelling towards Umer who now was standing beside Javeria with the letter in his hand.