Chapter 23

Placing the cups and the kettle on the tray, I released an exasperated sigh and picked up the tray, moving towards the lounge.

"Amma, I have told you before also there will be no talk of Wali and Aleyha's marriage now." I was entering the room when I heard Mumani jan's voice. My steps halted listening to Mumani jan's words. I could feel each of my heartbeat clearly in my ears.

Where did this come from? Does nanna know what happened?

"I don't like any of this going on but if you are saying this so then there is no option but to go forward with this proposal. There is no fault I can see in it. Unko ghar bulao, phr dekhtey hain," nanna's gloomy tone didn't go unnoticed by me. Taking a deep breath, I moved further into the room still not getting the idea of whatever was going on but deep down I had a very bad feeling about all of this.

"Aleyha is also here. Now you can talk to her about this," nanna called me as she patted the place beside her. Keeping the tray on the table, I served them the tea and sat beside nanna.

"Aleyha, whatever I am going to say, listen carefully and think about it," mama moved forward from her place as she held my hands.

Now, I really was having a bad feeling. I could feel my heart in the pit of my stomach, beating erratically. Giving her a nod, I motioned her to continue.

"So there was this marriage proposal that came for you during Zoha's wedding-"

Hearing mama's words, I felt all the energy draining away from my body, there was this strange feeling of numbness. My grip on mama's hand started to loosen but she didn't let me pull out my hands from the grip, holding them firmly. I looked at mama in the eye making sure she knew what she was talking about but she didn't lower her gaze. Her firm gaze looking into my eyes with so much authority that it clearly told me she knew what she was doing or saying.

"I have called amma and bhai bhabhi today to discuss this proposal. They see no problem in proceeding with the proposal but before that, we want to know your say in it. Woh direct nikkah krna chahtey hain," mama continued, her gaze not once wavering away.

"Mama," I could merely let out a whisper in response. I kept looking in her eyes trying to convey her my answer.

It was too soon.

"Aleyha beta, you take your time. We are in no hurry. Whatever your decision would be you know we will respect it. Wese bhi main tou kuch aur hi chahti hun," she muttered the last part out with great annoyance, her face pulled up in a scowl. If not in this situation, I would have laughed at her glowering state.

"Amma!" mumani jan chided.

"I was just saying. Meri bachi ko itna pareshan kardiya, dekho sara chehrey ka rang ud gaya uska," she retrieved. Pulling me into a side hug, she rubbed my arm soothingly and kissed my temple.

"What happened, shehzadi?" she murmured to me, her face morphed into a frown.

"Nothing, nanna. I was just not expecting all of this," I smiled at her as I swallowed down my tears.

"Aleyha, take the tea upstairs. It is getting cold," mama interrupted. Glancing at mama, I merely nodded and quickly picked up the tray, fleeing away from the room. Mama must have realized that I would break down any second if nanna questioned me further.

Once outside, I leaned against the wall and closed my eyes tightly absorbing away the tears which threatened to spill. Taking a few moments to calm my nerves, I stood there for a while and then advanced towards the study room.