Chapter 31

"Aleyha Shaikh, daughter of Irfan Shaikh, do you take Wali Rehman Khan as your husband?" 

My heart leaped to my throat.
I had always fantasized about this moment, daydreaming of the time when I'd say 'qubool hai' to this question, blushing and shying at merely the thought of it. But right now, I had no such feelings.

I looked at mama through my lashes but she turned her head away, her eyes filled with tears. My eyes travelled towards Papa, he wasn't looking at me, his head was lowered, his hands clutched together resting on his knees. 

"Papa..." I let out an inaudible whisper. But he didn't look up; he was in his own trauma. I bit back a sob, holding back the tears. My eyes landed on Wali, sitting beside Papa, staring at me with no emotions on his face. 

"Aleyha Shaikh, daughter of Irfan Shaikh, do you take Wali Rehman Khan as your husband?" Moulvi Sahab repeated.

"Qubool hai." I whispered.

"Say it out loud, bacha...and three times." Mamu jan said, giving me a comforting smile.

"Qubool hai. Qubool hai. Qubool hai," I said it out loud, this time with clarity, locking eyes with Wali and clenching my jaw.

You will so regret this Wali, I swear. You have just witnessed my love for you so far but you are forgetting, my hate and nonchalance is more intense than my love. 

"Wali Rehman Khan, son of Rehman Khan, do you take Aleyha Shaikh as your wife?" Moulvi Sahab turned towards Wali as he asked the same question from him.

"Ji, Qubool hai. Qubool hai. Qubool hai." His voice was louder than mine and face stoic, but his eyes, they were in a daze. It felt like he was staring at me but wasn't actually looking at me. 

Papa placed a hand on his shoulder, he flinched and looked around. His eyes settled back on me, he shook his head and looked away. Papa stood up with him and pulled him into a hug. He looked at me and then nodded his head to something papa may have said to him and then looked away.

I looked around. Every one was congratulating each other, it seemed like whatever happened a few hours ago was long forgotten. 
Was it so easy for them to forget everything or were they pretending?

Hina Khala, Baji, Aapi, and everyone else came forward to congratulate me. Despite their warmth, I couldn't summon a forced smile. Emotions swirled within me, leaving me uncertain and introspective about what I truly felt.

Nanna came forward, cupping my face, "Meri Wali ki dulhan. Tujhe hamesha issi roop main dekhna chaha hai maine. Bohot khubsurat lag rahi ho, meri shehzadi. Jo hua sab qismat ka khel tha. Sab bhool jao aur ab agay ka socho," she kissed my forehead, her eyes brimming with emotions. I gazed at her when someone settled beside me. I turned my head and saw mumani jan and mamu jan. Mumani Jan opened her arms, and I embraced her.

"Aleyha, you know you're like a daughter to me. Never, for even a second, think that you've become my daughter-in-law and cannot share anything with me. Our bond will remain the same as it was before," Mumani Jan assured me, her voice laden with tears as she tuck a strand behind my ears. I nodded, still embraced in her arms. I felt a hand on my head and looked up at Mamu Jan. "Your Mumani Jan is right, meri shehzadi. Don't ever change. Baqi, trust me, I'll handle everything," he said, looking at Mama and Papa. I bobbed my head, swallowing the lump in my throat. A warm smile illuminated his face as he bent down and kissed the crown of my head. "Zoha has gone to bring something for you to eat. Eat and relax now." I nodded, again. I had no energy to speak to anyone. I was drained. My eyes wandered around the hall, and I saw everyone at the table having dinner. Wali was sitting beside Papa; he prepared a plate and offered it to him. But Papa shook his head, pushing the plate away. Wali shook his head and said something to him, clasping his shoulders, after which he started eating.