50. Dirty rats

"Jungkook was unfortunate enough to be born and raised in prison". Taehyung said.

"Raised?". I asked as this story took my curiosity. I mean is that even allowed, to raise a child in prison?

"His mom got into jail when she was 3 months pregnant. Her crime wasn't severe, that's why she got into a special prison, there they had a special part where pregnant woman could serve their sentence and partially raise their children until they could get out. She was only supposed to serve for a year, perfectly fitting the standard to be let into this special part, as her child would only have to be there for around 6 months after birth". Taehyung started.

"His mom was doing great when she finally gave birth to Jungkook. She really cherished Jungkook at first, but the rumors went that after around 3 months after his birth, she went crazy. She started picking fights with other prisoners and stole from the authorities, causing for her to get into a lot of trouble. She even ended up being sentenced to serve for another year, after she had fought with one of the security officers, somehow they let Jungkook stay with her. Jungkook got raised by his mom, in the same cell as her, the authorities walking around of course kept an eye on them but they couldn't see everything. His mom kind of neglected him, only acting like she cared when others were around, for her Jungkook was just an object to stay away from the real prison, she felt save and at power at this special part of the prison. His mom started to drive on fear and adrenaline, causing a lot of trouble for the other prisoners who were raising or carrying a baby". Taehyung said as he took a pause and sighed.

"One time, his mom started to act really weird, she was calm for a few days, not starting any new fights. That was until one of the cellmates accidentally bumped into her, his mom got so angry at that for no reason, almost strangling the pregnant women to death in the presence of a sleeping Jungkook. His mom got pulled off and after that she wasn't let out of her cell for days, she became calmer then before. The authorities found it suspicious and took Jungkook away from her for a few days, letting him stay with one of the security guys. His mother got really angry about that, taking away the only possession she had". He paused again. "That's when she did something awful. She had only 1 more month to serve until she could be let out and find her way back in the society with her son. But she had build up a lot of anger when her son was taken away from her for those few days, that's when she-". Taehyung stopped for a second again as he swallowed. "That's when she killed one of the children from her cellmates, the child was only 4 months old but Jungkook's mom strangled the infant to death because she was blinded by anger, she wanted her own child back". Taehyung said. I was shook as he told this, I didn't know how to react.

"What happened then?". I managed to say.

"They started trials in court, the proses took a long time as there wasn't any evidence, the only witness was the mom of the child. Luckily for Jungkook's mom all the security cameras were somehow out of service that night". Taehyung explained. "After a long time, she finally got sentenced to prison for 20 years without parol, she had lost the trial even tho she had hired one of the best lawyers in the country. No one knew where she got the money from to pay the lawyer, but luckily for her, she didn't hire her for nothing. She had won to keep the guardianship over Jungkook, causing for him to stay with her in prison". Taehyung told. "No one knew how this could even be possible, how the government let a child grow up in prison. Articles started to spread about it but Jungkook stayed anonymous all through out, he was only 3 at that time".

"That's how Jungkook grew up in a place with no one his age, because all the woman with children left after some time, usually the children wouldn't be older then a few months, basically making him the youngest there. All the prisoners were afraid of his mom and no one dared to talk to them, even not to Jungkook. When they would eat, the two of them sat away from the others and the rest of the day Jungkook would spend in the cell, in the courtyard or at school. The guards and other authorities in the prison tried to give Jungkook some basic needs to develop him better but they could only do so much. Jungkook's mom always declined the things the guards gave to Jungkook, the only thing she would let him have was to let him go to a normal school, that's how Jungkook could leave the prison on schooldays".