Chapter 2 | The Mysterious Man

It was late at night when they arrived at the huge house in the depths of the forest. Mr. Xiao parked in front of the house, stopped the car, and turned around to wake the two boys.

 Xiao parked in front of the house, stopped the car, and turned around to wake the two boys

"Wake up, boys, since we're already here. You can sleep in the house." he said, laughing slightly as he unfastened his seat belt and got out of the car.

Yibo sighed heavily while Zhan was still asleep deep next to him. Not wanting to wake him, he carefully got out of the car to help with the bags. Mr. Xiao stopped him before Yibo could grab one of the bags.

"Don't worry about it, I'll take these into the house, alone. You just carry that sleeping bunny into his room.🐰 He tilted his head toward Zhan. "So go." 

"But Mr. Xiao-"

"Just go, Yibo. I'll take care of it."

"Oh..okay.  Good night, Mr. Xiao."

"Good night, Yibo."

After Yibo held Zhan in his arms, they walked into the house, then Jiang stopped and looked around suspiciously, watching the trees motionlessly and listening for a while to see if he could hear anything unusual, but heard nothing but the chirping of crickets. after a small sigh of relief, he continued to bring things into the house.

He walked softly to the door of Zhan's room. seeing Yibo and Zhan sleep peacefully next to each other, a slight smile on his face ran. He slowly closed the door. He sat down on the steps of the house, enjoying the silence, the cool night air and the starry sky.

"I hope one day we'll see each other again. But in the meantime, wait for me as I do for you ... and please help take care of Zhan. He'll need us now," he said sadly, then got up and went back to the house.

―---------- ❇ ----------―

The next morning, Jiang waited in the kitchen to talk to Zhan and Yibo. He was already thinking about going upstairs and waking them up when they finally showed up.

"Ah, you're finally awake. Please come here, I want to talk to you about something important."

" Is there a problem, Dad? asked Zhan.

"No, son. I just want you to follow a few rules while we're here. One is that if you leave the house and see something unusual or hear something suspicious,- tell me right away. I'll be in my room, and if it's not the former, don't bother me. Access to the basement is prohibited. And most importantly, none of you can go into the woods, especially not without me. If you are outside, only stay near the house. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Mr. Xiao." - said Yibo

"Zhan? You too?"

"yes, of course Dad, but I don't understand what these weird rules are? After all, we're no longer kids. We can take care of ourselves."