46| a big fucking lie

"Who was Jack the Ripper?" Professor Lahey asks as he walks around the auditorium

"Who was Jack the Ripper?" Professor Lahey asks as he walks around the auditorium. Who was he? Only one of the most notorious serial killers in history. "Anyone?"

I raise my hand. "Yes, Ms. Green, go ahead."

"Jack the Ripper was one of the infamous serial killers in the world. Around the year 1888, he began his killing spree in London. During that spree, he killed at least five women. He did this by mutilating their bodies in a very unusual way." I pause. "What's interesting is that the killer was never captured or even identified."

"Very good Ms. Green." Professor Lahey smiles. "This is certainly a very interesting mystery. Adding to the mysteries of this case, each of the murders occurred only a mile within each other in or near the Whitechapel district of London's East End, from August 7 to September 10, 1888."

"When Ms. Green mentioned that he at least killed five women was because several other murders occurred during that time that were tied to Leather Apron. Another nickname was given to the killer." Professor Lahey pauses. "Allegedly, the killer sent numerous letters to the Metropolitan Police Service. He used it as a taunting tactic, about his gruesome activities and future kills. The nickname he received Jack the Ripper originated from one of the letters he wrote at the time."

"An interesting fact about Jack the Ripper's profile is that he didn't kill his victims with a knife, he mutilated and disemboweled them. He removed organs such as kidneys and uteruses, and his crimes seemed to portray an abhorrence for the entire female gender." Professor Lahey explains. "As hard  as it is for you to understand how a person can be capable of committing such horrendous crimes, the way a killer murders his victims speaks volumes of the psychological factors and stressors that contributed to him acting out."

"I believe we have run out of time for today's lecture. For our next lecture, we will be taking a look at a few more cases and you will lead the discussion by attempting to profile the unsub in each one. Participation is required so I suggest that you read the assigned material I sent you this morning." Professor Lahey pauses. "Presentations will begin next week, please come prepared to answer all of my questions. I have given you extra time to prepare so I expect nothing but the best from you. You are dismissed."

After Professor Lahey dismissed us, I put my things away in my backpack and I walked out of the aisle. It took me a few minutes before I could walk out of the auditorium since in this class I sat in the front row and the door to exit was in the back. When I walked into the hallway I met with Stensby, he was taking PSYCH3001 (Introduction to Psychology) in the auditorium across from where I took my PSYCH6008 (Criminal Psychology) class. "Hey,"

"Hey, how was your class?" I ask my best friend as we walk down the stairs of Mackenzie Hall, the psychology building.

Stensby sighs. "The same as always. Today we discussed a report from the Journal of Consumer Research about the Unconscious Preferences for the Letters of Our Own Name. And Professor Dillehunt returned the exam we took two weeks ago."