37| hope

Growing up there was a question that no one seemed to have an answer for, why do bad things always happen to good people? I waited to hear the answer I ached to know for so long but the answer never came

Growing up there was a question that no one seemed to have an answer for, why do bad things always happen to good people? I waited to hear the answer I ached to know for so long but the answer never came. Sitting here in the most uncomfortable chair, next to Macy, I wish I had the answer.

With small wounds over her entire body, a cast on her right leg, and a ventilator that helped her breathe, Macy's body laid in the hospital bed. Atticus once wrote all she wanted was for someone to look at her and see the person she hid so well. For Macy, it was the pain. A smile is what I consider to be one of the most powerful things in this heavy world. Behind it, pain and hurt can be hidden. And you'll have no idea it's even there.

As I replay Macy's story for the hundredth time since I've been sitting here next to her, I try to find the words. I try to find the words that justify the reason as to why the kindest and most selfless souls seem to endure the most pain and suffering. Grandpa Willy always used to tell me that if there was anything I should never lose it was hope.

He said, my dearest little Ev, sunshine comes to all of those who feel rain. Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together, oh to hold it together, when everyone understands if you do fall apart, that's true strength right there. I understand, but how can you ask someone to hold it all together, to fight, when giving up is not the easiest thing but the best thing?

"Everest," The doctor walks in the room catching my attention and I stand up from the chair. "Macy's results came back."

The look on his face wasn't the most optimistic one and that terrified me. "It's not good isn't it?"

"It's not, I'm not supposed to share any information with you about Macy because you're not direct family but her mother authorized me to share the information with you until she lands and can be here present." The doctor says and I nod. "Aside from shattering her bones on her right leg, Macy suffered a traumatic head injury. That is why we had to put her in a medically induced coma, she is not able to breathe on her own so she needs the ventilator to help her maintain enough oxygen in her blood."

"How long do you plan on keeping her on the ventilator?" I ask.

"At this moment I don't have an answer for you, it's all up to her and her willingness to fight for her life." The doctor replies. What if she isn't willing to fight to come back? "The breathing tube she has is inserted into the windpipe through the mouth. When the tube is continued beyond two to three weeks, it's no longer safe to keep it in the mouth and it becomes necessary to do a tracheotomy, a procedure in which we make a hole in the front of the neck and insert a small tube into the windpipe to help the patient breathe."

"After the tracheotomy, is there anything else that can be done for her?" I ask.

"I'm afraid not, if the moment comes and she shows no significant signs that she can breathe on her own her family must decide on whether they wish to take her off the ventilator for good and let her go or keep her on it." The doctor replies. At this point, I couldn't help the tears from forming in my eyes. This was never supposed to happen, not to her. "I have another patient I have to see, but if anything happens you can page the nurses. They'll come right over."