41| i'll be there

As we laid under the sheets wrapped in each other's arms last night, the same question that has been lingering in my mind since this past weekend lingered in my mind

As we laid under the sheets wrapped in each other's arms last night, the same question that has been lingering in my mind since this past weekend lingered in my mind. How was I supposed to tell Connery that his best friend is linked to the gang that is guilty of numerous rapes and murders? How was I supposed to tell my best friend the same thing?

I've been trying to figure out how I was going to tell them but no matter how I phrased it, it didn't sound any better. I wasn't going to let history repeat itself though. Part of building up back the broken trust is to continue being honest with each other because what took you months to build back up can shatter in seconds.

"Everest," One of the girls from my Criminal Psychology course, Lauren, said interrupting my thoughts. "Everest."

"Huh?" I asked. I was completely out of it for a good few minutes. "I'm sorry, I got lost in my thoughts, what were you saying?"

Lauren lets out a small laugh. "It's okay, I was just asking you if you think we should leave the introduction the way it is. I think it's good to go the way it is, but if you want, we can add more information."

Lauren is my partner for a project that we have due in a week for the course. Professor Lahey assigned a different case for each pair. We have to write an essay analyzing the criminal from different perspectives and we have to present it in class as well. Professor Lahey assigned us the Ted Bundy case. I do have to point out that I was way more excited than I should've been. There was a time when I was obsessed with this case (deep down I still am) I watched documentaries, interviews, read articles. Anything related to the case. So when Professor Lahey assigned us the case, I was thrilled to have the chance to do my analysis and present my take on it.

"I don't think there is anything more to add," I tell Lauren as I look over the introduction paragraph. "If we add more details it wouldn't be an introduction paragraph, it's straight to the point. After we finish the essay I can ask my best friend to look over it, she's a journalism major and she always does the corrections on my essays."

Lauren nods. "That's perfect then, at least there's one thing we don't have to worry about. I have to say, knowing that we have to present our take on the case makes me a little nervous."

"It makes me a little nervous too, Professor Lahey's curriculum vitae is so impressive that all of his experience in the field makes me question everything I want to write," I tell Lauren. "But he did say that he wants to see our take on the case, so even if it's different, I think we'll do just fine."

"True," Lauren replies. "There's so much to this case too. It involves so many factors that in the beginning I didn't even know involved. It's crazy how he spent so much time without getting caught."

"There is," I say. "And it is crazy, police consistently ruled him out based on his seemingly upstanding character and clean-cut appearance. He was able to avoid detection even longer by learning how to leave virtually no evidence that could be traced. The forensic techniques of that time weren't as advanced as they are now."