05| trouble

Screwed

Screwed. I came to that realization the second Prof. Emerson said the following two words, pop quiz, I had completely forgotten about the fact that we were supposed to study our assigned pages for today's lecture and review our notes from our last class as well.

The only thing I had going for me in this unfortunate situation was the fact that I actually paid attention to that 40-minute video about the history of feminism. But being in my junior year here at BGU I already knew that most of the questions would consist of the assigned pages. So the most I could score was a solid four out of ten at most.

Thank God the semester is just starting, I had plenty of time to study for our next unannounced quiz and ace it. At this point, after three long years at BGU, I just store the class syllabus in a box under my desk in my room but before throwing Prof. Emerson's syllabus into the dust-covered cardboard box I actually read the thing. Quizzes and assignments were worth twenty percent of our final grade, I couldn't sleep on Prof. Emerson and her quizzes if I wanted to pass the class with a decent grade, and by decent, I meant at least a B.

"Alright students, once you receive your quiz you will have a total of ten minutes to complete it. It's easy, that is if you read your assigned pages for today's lecture of course." Prof. Emerson says as she hands every person on the first row a stack of papers.

"I'm screwed, the guys and I went to AJ's last night after practice and I got home a little bit after two," Stensby says taking out a pencil from his grey backpack that sat on the floor next to him.

"Who are you even kidding Stensby? AJ's or not we both know you weren't going to read a damn thing." I tell Stensby and he laughs in agreement.

A few minutes later I had the small paper filled with a total of five questions in front of me. To my demise, there weren't any answers we could choose from. Fill in the blanks, read the instructions. I looked over at Stensby for a second and he was actually writing answers down on the piece of paper.

"Eight minutes," Prof. Emerson said raising her voice so we could all hear.

I better get to answering these questions before I'm out of time (to guess of course). First question, who wrote A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, one of the first feminist books, in 1792? That's easy. Mary Wollstonecraft. That's two out of ten. Second question, what is the average proportion of women globally who will suffer violence from a man or male partner in their lifetime? To my surprise, I was certain I was correct in my answer. I watch a lot of SVU and I wrote a paper on this topic in my freshman year. 1 in 3.

Four points out of ten so far, not bad. When did feminism first appear in France? 1872. Thank you forty-minute video. The rest of the remaining questions were opinion based ones so I would say I actually did pretty well for not reading the assigned pages for today's lecture. Stensby on the other hand wasn't as confident of his answers and just wanted Prof. Emerson to get on with the class so we could leave already. Can't say I disagree with him.