43| old friend

"Good morning to all of our audience wherever it is you are joining us from," Josiah Lyle, the ESPN reporter speaks kicking off the morning segment of Sports Center

"Good morning to all of our audience wherever it is you are joining us from," Josiah Lyle, the ESPN reporter speaks kicking off the morning segment of Sports Center. "It's a bright morning here in the city of Los Angeles."

"Today, Mark Spencer, a three-time NCAA Division I swimming champion, joins us live today on Sports." Josiah pauses. "Mark, it's good to have you in the studio with us today as we gear up for the kick-off the road to the NCAA Division I Championship."

"Thank you for having me Josiah," Mark pauses. "It's a good day in the world of college swimming."

"It is, today we kick off the long-awaited part of the NCAA swimming season, personally my favorite," Josiah adds. "We've talked about it before on this show, but this is where true champions are born Mark."

"I agree Josiah, this part of the season, makes or breaks teams." Mark pauses. "They get tested in ways, they've never been tested before."

"There's been a lot of talk going around now that the playoffs are kicking off," Josiah pauses. "Who's taking home the gold at the end of the road?"

"The thing about this Josiah is that every season is different, even if during the last years we've had the same dominant teams, you never know who's going to rise to the occasion," Mark adds. "With that being said, there's no denying that the favorites are the favorites for a reason. Their spectacular performance during the regular season speaks for itself."

"Mark here is referring to our raining champions OHSU, coming in with only one loss this regular season and BGU with a record-breaking regular season." Josiah pauses. "They were the team to beat this year with their perfect record. But Mark I have to ask, will they be able to continue breaking records or will they end up falling short like last season?"

"In another time, I would've answered your question with they may end up falling short, but taking a look at their times and their performance analysis, I say that they will continue to break records," Mark replies. "They're the team to beat this season, to me, there is no doubt that they will be the ones taking home the gold on finals night. OHSU has its work cut out if they want to add another trophy to their trophy case."

"I agree with you there Mark, but I'm not convinced yet," Josiah says and I roll my eyes. "Later tonight we kick off the road to the finals with our first two matchups. BGU takes on ASU and LSU takes on FSU. Any predictions Mark?"

"I have BGU taking the first win alongside LSU," Mark replies.

"That's all the time we have for today, Mark, thank you once again for joining us." Josiah pauses. "You can watch the broadcast of the road to the championship live on ESPN or tune in after the matchups for some exclusive highlights and interviews. This is Josiah Lyle for ESPN."

I turn off my phone and I throw it to the right side of my bed. As much as I wanted to keep watching the predictions for this season, it was time to pack up my stuff for tonight. We kicked off the playoffs today and for our first matchup, we would be traveling to Arizona to face ASU. Since it is a seven-hour drive from here at Bowling, we would be flying instead. A three-hour plane ride made more sense than having to sit on a bus for seven hours.