fifteen

The sun was peeking through a crack in the curtains when Angelina first opened her eyes. The room was warm, warmer than usual, and an aroma of cigarette smoke and rum clung to the air.

"Good morning."

His voice was deeper in the mornings, Angelina loved it. He spoke in no more than a gruff whisper, pulling her body against his own tightly.

"Good morning, Thomas."

He squeezed her body as she said his name, inhaling deeply as he slowly started to wake up properly. It was the first time in a while he hadn't woken up in his own home, but he didn't mind it.

"How did you sleep?"

Angelina turned over to face Thomas. His eyes were barely open but he had a small smile playing on his lips as her hands rested on his body.

"I slept well, better than I do alone."

Tommy brushed Angelina's hair from her face, placing his hand on her cheek as he kissed her softly. He wanted his mornings to be like this forever.

"I have some business I need to sort out today," Tommy began.

He watched as the glow in Angelina's face slowly faded away. He sighed quietly, knowing the worry that was already setting in for her. He wished things could be different, but this was the path he was on.

"I won't be gone long, but when I get back I'm taking you out to dinner. If you'd like, that is."

A smile slowly started to grow as Angelina traced Tommy's jawline with her fingertip.

"I'd love to."

Thomas smiled, kissing her again before pushing the covers from his body and standing up. Angelina lay on her side, gazing at him as he picked up his clothes that were scattered around the room and began getting dressed.

"What are you staring at?" Thomas laughed lightly, looking back at Angelina as he pulled on his trousers.

She tilted her head slightly, looking up at him with eyes that made Thomas' breath get caught in his throat. The power she held over him was something he'd never felt before.

"I think you're a beautiful man, Mr Shelby."

He tried not to blush, just looking away from Angelina with a laugh as he continued to get dressed.

Though he tried, he couldn't stop the intrusive thoughts of other men being in his exact position in the past, even his own brother. Thomas was incredibly jealous, he despised the thought of anybody else enjoying Angelina the way he had the previous night, and getting the pleasure to wake up beside her the morning after, still looking like an angel.

It was hard and Thomas couldn't contain the thoughts, but he had to remind himself that at that moment in time, Angelina was laying there before him gazing up at him with those eyes, and he was the one getting the feeling in his stomach that made him feel better than anything he'd ever felt before.

"I'll see you in a few hours, I'll pick you up at seven."

Thomas grabbed his jacket and shoved his belongings into his pockets. Angelina's eyes fell to the gun that he picked up from underneath her bed, feeling nauseous at the sight of him sticking it into the waist of his trousers.

He went to turn the door handle, only stopped as Angelina spoke again.

"In Italy we kiss when we say goodbye."

Turning back to her, Thomas tried his hard to keep a straight face, but he couldn't. He wasn't used to kissing someone goodbye in the morning, he and Grace rarely sharing a bed in the last few months of their relationship. Tommy Shelby wasn't an affectionate man, but he realised that in light of a new moon, perhaps it was time for a change.

He leant over Angelina's naked body and pressed his lips against hers, smelling the musky perfume that clung to her neck.

"Goodbye, Thomas."

+

The time was quarter past seven and Angelina was still sat at home, waiting. She had chosen a blush pink satin dress that came just above her knee, but opted for no jacket after feeling the warmth of the summer sun on an afternoon walk with her brother.

"You look stunning, Lina."

Lorenzo smiled at his sister and poured himself a drink, taking a seat beside her.

"What time is Mr Shelby coming?"

Angelina glanced down at the silver watch on her wrist.

"Fifteen minutes ago."

"Oh." Lorenzo's face fell, matching Angelina's unimpressed expression.

She waited a few more minutes before deciding that she wouldn't wait any longer. Angelina wasn't used to waiting around for men. In Rome, they would be early for her, not ever late.

She grabbed her white clutch bag from the table, said goodbye to her brother and left the house in the direction of The Garrison. If Thomas wasn't going to be on time to take her out, it didn't mean she had to waste an evening.

Angelina debated The Marquis, only decided against it. She had grown tired of seeing the same faces day in, day out. She wanted a change.

Pushing open the door to The Garrison, Angelina ignored the stares from the men and made her way over to the bar, taking a seat on one of the stools in front of the barman.

"White wine please, Pinot."

The barman poured Angelina a large glass of wine and slid it across the bar to her. She sat for a while, people watching and observing. Her mind wandered a little, thinking about Thomas and where he was. She wondered if he was safe, an instant shot of pain coursing through her as the thought of him being hurt entered her head.

She looked over to the room in the far corner, the door swinging open, grabbing her attention. Out walked Thomas, who at first hadn't spotted her sat by the bar, followed by Grace.

Angelina couldn't help but feel her heart drop to the pit of her stomach. She, like Tommy, had become incredibly jealous at the thought of him with anybody else, and seeing it happen right before her eyes made her feel a most awful pain.

Grace and Tommy continued speaking to one another, unfortunately not loud enough for Angelina to catch ear of what they were saying. It wasn't until Grace turned to leave that she caught Angelina's eye, laughing slyly before disappearing outside.

Tommy turned on his heels to see what Grace had been smirking at, only his face fell when he saw Angelina sat alone by the bar.

"Angelina," he said, hastily approaching her, "It's not what you think, honestly."

"It doesn't matter what I think," Angelina shrugged, finishing the last of her drink, "The fact of the matter is that you were with your ex-fiancée when you were supposed to be with me."

Thomas sighed, licking his lips and struggling to find the right words to say.

"Angelina honestly, I can explain, I..."

His voice trailed off and as his face began to grow more flustered, Angelina's heart rate settled, knowing she still had a hold over him.

"Perhaps, Thomas, you are still the foolish man that you thought you no longer were."