eighteen

"Good evening to you too, Arthur."

Angelina forced a smile at Arthur who stood on her doorstep, his face so angry it looked like smoke should have been coming from his ears.

"Why don't you come inside."

She stepped aside to let Arthur in, closing the door behind them. He began to pace around the front room, running his hands through his hair and crossing his fingers together at the back of his neck.

"What the hell happened?"

"Arthur," Angelina shook her head, "I really do not know what you're talking about."

He sighed loudly and sat down on the sofa, looking up at Angelina.

"Look," he started, placing his hands on his knees, "I don't know what's going on between you and Tommy, quite frankly I don't want to know."

Angelina felt a pang of sadness hit her in the heart when Arthur said those words, and she knew he did too.

"And I know that you have no idea who Alfie Solomons really is-"

"-This is about Alfie?"

Arthur paused when Angelina interrupted him.

"Yes Angelina, it's about Alfie."

She immediately thought back to the picture of Thomas that she'd seen in Alfie's house and her mind began to race, a million awful thoughts intruding her mind as she unwillingly thought about horrendous scenarios where Thomas was going to end up hurt.

She didn't think Alfie was that type of man, but then again, she'd learned that you never really knew anybody in England.

"Is Tommy okay? Is he alright?"

"Yeah, he's just fine." Arthur grumbled, "Though we got a phone call from your lover about two hours ago and he told us about a pretty Italian girl that lives in Small Heath that he'd spent the night with, and well, we put two and two together."

"So?" Angelina said, "What's wrong with that? It's not like Thomas can get jealous, he's not-"

"You're in danger, Angelina. Again."

"What?"

She sat down beside Arthur, suddenly being far more alarmed than she was originally.

"Listen, right now, the Peaky Blinders and Alfie Solomons are on good terms, but there's a lot going on behind the scenes that could upset him and his lot. Alfie's a smart man, he knows how to kick us where it hurts, and I mean if he ever found out about you and Tommy then-"

"Me and Tommy?"

Arthur looked up at Angelina from the floor. Though time healed, it was still hard for Arthur to accept that Angelina was her brother's most prized possession, and what hurt him even worse was the way he didn't treat her even an ounce of the way Arthur knew he would if he had the chance.

"Tommy answered the phone."

Angelina let out a sorrowful sigh, hanging her head in her hands and instantly feeling guilt wash over her. Though she hasn't heard from Thomas in a while, knowing that he was the one to pick up the phone and hear about what she'd done with someone he wasn't the best of friends with made Angelina rethink her decisions.

"Is he...what did he say to you?"

Arthur scoffed, "You know our Tom, won't let anything show. But between you and me, he's hurting. He's a prick, Angelina, the worst kind, but by God that boy is falling in love with you."