seventeen

"Ah good, you're awake! Your tea was about to go cold."

Angelina smiled as she walked into Alfie's front room to see him stirring a cup of tea inside a dainty China tea cup that looked far too small for his hands.

"Milk and sugar?"

"Just milk, please."

Alfie nodded and smiled, presenting the cup of tea in front of her as she took a seat at the table that was littered with a selection of fruits and continental foods to choose from.

"Do you put on this much of a breakfast for every woman that you sleep with?"

Alfie chuckled and sat down opposite Angelina, tucking into the some of the food on offer.

"Only the Italians." He said with a wink.

The two were alone for a while before Charlotte and the gentleman she'd spent the night with joined them at the table.

The four of them made small talk as they enjoyed the food Alfie had kindly put on for them, only it wasn't long before Alfie announced that he and his friend had to leave for work.

"Sorry ladies, duty calls and all that." Alfie smiled at Angelina as he wiped away crumbs from his mouth with his napkin and pushed his chair back under the table.

"Though," he stood behind Angelina's shoulder and looked down at her, "Do give me a call, won't you?"

He handed her a small card printed with black ink. It read Alfie's name, his business name, and his telephone number. Angelina just nodded and slid it into her purse.

"It was a pleasure, darling. Hopefully it won't be the last time," he kissed her cheek, smiling kindly at her before turning to leave with his friend.

He'd explained that Angelina and Charlotte were more than welcome to stay and finish their breakfast, and to be sure to let the housekeeper know when they were leaving so she could lock the doors. 

The girls stayed for a while longer, taking full advantage of the breakfast on offer. They chatted for a while between themselves, both girls prying one another about details from their previous night's antics.

"There is something I wanted to tell you," Angelina's tone dropped and she quickly looked around the room to make sure no staff were present, "I was pouring us drinks last night and I found a pile of notes, one of them had Tommy's picture on."

Charlotte raised an eyebrow, "Are you sure it was him?"

Angelina nodded eagerly, scanning the room once more before quickly walking over to the drinks cart where she saw the picture the night before.

"Shit!" She whispered in frustration, returning to her seat swiftly, "It's gone."

"What do you think it was?" Charlotte asked.

Angelina pursed her lips and shook her head, "I have no idea. He asked if I knew The Shelby's a couple of times but I just said I was sick of hearing about them. What would he want with Tommy?"

Charlotte scoffed, "The whole of England wants something from Tommy, love, I thought you'd have realised that by now."

+

Before the girls knew it, they were back in Small Heath. Angelina had arrived home to an empty house and a note from her brother.

Dumping her bags, she picked up the note and unfolded it.

Lina,
I'll be gone for a few days on business, I'll have one of the boys come and walk you to and from work every day again.
Love you
Enzo

Angelina rolled her eyes and left the note on the kitchen table. She hated when Lorenzo went away, especially without telling her first. All she wanted to know was that he was safe, but sadly she'd realised that sometimes it was better not to know anything at all.

She made dinner for herself and poured a single glass of wine, the first of a few she'd enjoy that night.

As the night grew on, she found herself getting more and more frustrated. She wanted to see her brother, she had been looking forward to showing him what she'd bought in London and sharing dinner together. She didn't want to be alone.

Sighing, she reached for the telephone Lorenzo had got not long ago and began to dial. After listening to the dreadful dial tone, a voice finally spoke.

"Who's this?" He cleared his throat.

"Erm, it's, it's Angelina. Angelina Santoro?" Angelina stuttered, even her own name sounding like more of a guess in response to his question.

"Angelina!" He laughed, "I'm so glad you called, I didn't expect to hear from you so soon."

Hearing the happiness in Alfie's voice felt like a weight being lifted from Angelina's shoulders. She let out a sigh and felt a smile spread across her face.

"I'm sorry to bother you, Alfie, I just wanted to get in touch and say thank you for the breakfast this morning. And for last night, too."

Angelina felt herself blush as she said the last sentence. Truthfully, she hadn't stopped thinking about the night she'd shared with Alfie. He was different to anything she'd ever experienced. He was a gentleman, too, the way he'd treat her that night was how she'd expect to be treated by a husband, not a one night stand.

"God, the pleasure was all mine, darling. Listen I'll be up in Birmingham in a few days, perhaps I can drop in and see you if you'd like?"

"Oh," Angelina instinctively replied, "you're coming to Birmingham? What for?"

"Just work, you know how it is. Busy man, ain't  I. So how about it?"

Angelina paused, her mind instantly thinking about that picture of Thomas she'd found. She couldn't help but think Alfie's trip up to Birmingham had something to do with Thomas, everything always had something to do with Thomas.

"I'd love that, Alfie."

"Cracking," he said, "Keep yourself sweet for me, alright darling? I know a place that does the nicest wine in the Midlands, you'll love it."

"That sounds great. I'll see you soon."

"Take care Angelina."

Smiling, she put the phone down. It was refreshing talking to Alfie. There was something she found interesting about him, he wasn't as miserable as Thomas and his brother's, but she supposed he was equally as secretive.

She sat and poured herself another glass of wine, contemplating whether to get into bed yet or not. It was still early on Sunday evening and the sun was still in the sky, though threatening to disappear over the horizon at any moment.

It was a shock to the silence Angelina had gotten used to when she got a knock at the front door, jumping out of her skin at the intrusive sound.

She rushed to the door and carefully opened it, almost hiding behind the wood as she peered at whoever was stood outside.

"Fuck sake Angelina," Arthur was stood on the doorstep, his eyes a combination of anger and disappointment, "What the bloody hell have you done?"