Slowly Losing It

Slowly Losing It

4 weeks later:

"Oh my god, hit the brakes!" Diego pushed his own right foot down hard, even though he was in the passenger side of the car.

"Shut up! We're going like five miles an hour!" Cameron complained loudly as the car just barely rolled over a curb. They were in an empty parking lot on an early Sunday morning. Practicing. Again.

"Maybe I should just get Chris to teach me. This is not as fun as I thought it would be." And it really wasn't. When Diego offered to teach him how to drive, Cameron made up little stories in his own head about how it might go. Some light flirting. Some hesitant touching. Motors rumbling. Etc. Etc. Etc. But then...expectation vs. reality set in. Diego was NOT a good teacher, after all. Cameron literally had no clue how to drive, and Diego had no clue how to explain it to him. So the lessons were just Cameron trying to figure it out on his own while Diego basically had a thirty minute panic attack.

He was starting to lose it. He was very very irritated today. Everything was making him mad. Leah had spent the night again, and he yelled at her for waking him up early. And he never yelled at her.

The car rolled to a stop and Cameron turned the ignition off. Diego tried to pull himself back into some semblance of cool guy chic, rather than complete full on freakazoid. "Better! You did better today." he flashed his signature smile.

"That doesn't work on me anymore, Diego. Not after you called me a disaster on four wheels less than five minutes ago."

Diego dropped the sexy look. "Dude, Cameron, Chulo, you know I think you're smoking hot, and you know I would do just about anything for you, but I think maybe you should ask one of your dad's to teach you how to drive, ok?"

Cameron gritted his teeth for several reasons. He hissed out, "They are not my dads ok? I wish you wouldn't say that. It kind of makes me feel like crap."

Wiping his forehead with his sleeve, Diego glanced up, surprised at Cameron's vehemence. "What crawled up your ass?"

"It's nothing." Cameron hit the steering wheel, surprising Diego even further. "Do you like your dad?"

"My dad?....Yeah, sure. I guess." They went from almost dying during Cameron's lesson to therapy session in an abrupt about face, and neither were particularly Diego's favorite thing.

"Is he nice?"

"Well," Diego laughed confused. "He doesn't tuck me into bed or anything. But yeah, sometimes we watch soccer together or he waxes poetic about his childhood in Los Angeles. He's just a dad, you know?"

"Nope I don't know." Cameron bared his teeth. "I don't know what a dad is like."

What the hell, Diego thought. Why are we talking about this? He just wanted to get out of this car in one piece. Cameron was a car accident waiting to happen.

"I never met my dad. He left us before I was even born. Didn't want to be a dad, ever, I guess." Cameron put his face on the steering wheel, gripping it tight between his fingers.

Diego just nodded and sighed. "Ok, Angel, get it off your chest."

"Today's his birthday. My mom always says on January 15, today's your dad's birthday, and then she tells me how old he is. He's 42 today. My mom always drinks a little on his birthday. And she ignores me more than she usually does, which is quite a lot. She only says that one sentence to me, and then locks herself in her room. He left her because of me, so she can't stand to look at me on his birthday."