Chapter Twenty-Eight: Machiavellian

Two days later...

Nikolas's POV

"No, no, no! You imbecile!" I said in outrage, coughing up once more after I yelled. Maven stood there with his head down while I walked back and forth, wishing to smash everything apart but was too weak and tired to do so.

After his leave with the princess, I thought that she would be done for. Eirene survived the crash and is residing inside Walsh, and I could do nothing but wish for her death to come in some form of miracle. I suppose luck was never on my side, I was made into a buffoon.

"I want her dead by sunrise, Maven." I darted my eyes back to him while he looked at me with a deciphering expression, "But your highness, I believe that isn't possible. She's in Walsh." he crossed both of his arms while I clenched my fists, "Did you not hear what I said?" I snapped as the door of the room swung open.

Maven stood still, his demeanor changing in a halt while he bowed down to his knees. "I greet her majesty, the queen." he looked down on the floor with eyes closed, "You may rise." she chuckled darkly, beckoning for the other servants to leave from behind her.

"I'm highly disappointed in you, Maven. After all, you are one of the Arknights and I expected you to be more...skilled." she said, making Maven stock-still in surprise of my mother's insult with her last words.

She looked around with arms crossed and sighed, "As Nikolas said, the princess will have to be executed quietly. From what I had heard, she already knew the plan. If this goes back to the king, you will be done for my dear Nikolas and your brother will ascend the throne," she gazed at me with a smirk, taunting me with the crown.

"And I suppose you're willing to give up the crown?" she raised a brow in inquiry.

"I will not let that happen, mother." I replied while she nod her head, "I will send people with you, Maven. One small accident and you will be done for." my mother said in a warn.

"Thank you, your majesty." Maven bowed his head and left the room in a scurrying hurry. (Y/n) was still resided in another room to keep her away from the cold, and I could do nothing but think of what's happening to her in every tick of the clock.

"Aleksander is already making his move, Nikolas. I suppose locking him in his room will give you some time." my mother walked around the room while she set forth of those words, her eyes darted around in every corner with inspection.

"I'll kill him then." I answered, looking at her eyes with eager lingering through the air. She stopped from her tracks and clasped her hands, turning her body towards me with her cunning look vanishing as if it was never there. "You cannot kill your brother, Nikolas. That is something I wish for you to refrain to." she glared right at me.

"You killed your own twin, mother. I suppose your situation was worse, to see yourself dead." I said in reply, making her come towards me with a stomp and cover my mouth while she furrowed her brows.

"And we also refrain from talking about Amanda's death, Nikolas." she whispered in a hoarse tone. Amanda, the queen was dead and I was nothing but an illegitimate child of the king. I was conceived earlier than the legitimate queen after my mother stole the queen's identity to be her sister in hopes that he will fall for her.

It was a preposterous idea and had my mother driven into jealousy after hearing her sister was with child. The night after her labor was the night my mother murdered the queen, taking her place as Amanda and announcing that Amelia was dead. She was dead.

My mother was a cunning woman and made the king believe that a miracle had happened and that Aleksander and I were twins, but it soon fell into pieces for as we grew older, we did not resembled each other.

But the king was far from suspicious, and instead called us a one-of-a-kind that he believed was a gift from the gods from above. And as gold was a precious mineral, the king decided that I would be the first born and the crowned prince. The gods must be having their fits of laughter still from my mother's trickery.

A knock on the door was heard as my mother's servant went inside, informing her about her duties for today. She looked back at me with a narrow gaze, "I'll be taking my leave, Nikolas. Please don't do anything foolish." she sighed, turning to her heels and leaving my chamber.

The clock ticks in every second while I swung my dangling feet from the side of the bed, keeping myself moving and distracted. After a full minute, I got up from the bed and swung the door open. The sentinels followed behind me, telling me to go back inside as I only ignored their voices. "I'll cut your heads off if you two keep bugging me! Go back to your wretched places!" I fumed.

I stopped in front of the door with the key in hand, twisting it open as I went inside unannounced. He sat there on his desk, looking out at the window while reminiscing within his thoughts. "Barging in my room is disrespectful, Nikolas," he turned to me and laughed to himself quietly, "But I suppose you never had respect either, so what do I know?" he shrugged both of his shoulders.

"I want you to stay out of my way, Aleksander. Get away from my wife and from the throne." I stepped forward with clenched fists, "You're driving our kingdom to ashes, Nikolas. And I have enough of you mad people controlling this palace." Aleksander huffed in annoyance, standing up and passing by me.

"Where are you going?" I turned around while he touched the doorknob, "I'm going to do what is right, Nikolas." he answered back to my inquiry, I lunged forward and closed the door. I slid out the dagger from behind and pressed it against his neck, "I won't let you get in my way, Aleksander." I gripped on the dagger more firmly while he looked at me nonchalantly.

"Everybody wants to rule the world, but not everyone is fit to be a ruler, Nikolas." he scoffed while I pressed further, "Are you testing me?" I asked, tilting my head to the side. "I'm just telling the truth, Nikolas. You will never be the rightful king," he replied back calmly, taking me by the arm and pushing me back with pure force, "Let go of the weapon, Nikolas. I don't want to hurt you." he demanded with a plea.

No matter how hard I had pushed the knife forward, to see the crimson color stain his shirt, I was far from the words strong. With a twist of his hand, I groaned and let go of the dagger in surrender. He kneeled down and picked it up in a haste and glared at my sight.

Running footsteps was heard while I fixated my gaze towards Aleksander, the door swung open with both sentinels standing there. "What are you two imbeciles standing there for? Can't you see he's trying to harm me? Arrest Aleksander and put him to the dungeon!" I pointed with a roar, "But your highness, he's--" I cut off the sentinels with a loud groan.

"Are you ignoring your oath to the royal family? Especially the crowned prince's orders and instead defend this...disgusting fool?" I gave a loathing expression, looking at Aleksander up and down. He threw the knife away from him and turned his back to me.

"I am in no means trying to hurt Nikolas, I was only defending myself by his foolish acts. Apprehend me now, and you'll be hearing from the king. I suppose capital punishment is ordeal with me getting thrown away in the dungeon, yes?" Aleksander raised a brow, expressing within his lie.

The sentinels fell into a silence, letting themselves be swallowed by his lies. A ridicule I say. I was far from the words surprised, for after all, I did called them an imbecile for a reason.

"I want him out of my sight in five seconds! If not, you'll be put in an inevitable punishment." I tapped my foot on the floor in a constant haste, feeling my patience running as thin as a piece of string.

The two finally came back to their senses and nod their heads, taking Aleksander on both arms as they pulled him roughly out the door while he struggled beneath their grasps. A mischievous smirk was plastered on my mouth as I felt ecstasy seeing him getting dragged away.

"I also don't want him getting fed for two weeks, I suppose that's a light punishment in trying to commit murder on the crowned prince, yes?" I raised a brow while I crossed my arms, "As you wish, your highness." they answered.

I laughed to myself quietly as he looked at me with a scowl. "You won't get away with this, Nikolas."

"It depends if you're still alive, dear Aleksander."

If I can't kill him, then let his body murder him for me.