Old Friend - Felipe Drugovich (2/3) ✔

Inspired by: hope ur ok; Olivia Rodrigo

-

"Today is such a beautiful evening, don't you think?" Guanyu Zhou asked his teammate while they were on their way to the hotel. They finished the post-race debrief, and after helping the team pack up the stuff for tomorrow, they were ready to back and take some rest. The morning race was amazing as Joe won and Felipe finished right behind him. The afternoon race, however, was a complete disaster as they both finished in the last two places. The team decided to be bold and switch from wet tyres to dry through the race. But the track was still damp, so both cars were extremely slow and unable to fight others.

"I agree, the last time I saw a sky full of stars I was still a child," Felipe chuckled and looked up at the bright moon sitting high on his throne, surrounded by his loyal servants.

"Man, I was so obsessed with the universe as a kid. I even imagined how cool it would be to live on another planet," Felipe's features froze for a brief moment, where has he heard this before? Because he has, it seems too familiar to him, "I wanted to be an astronaut for a long time till I found love for racing...Felipe, are you alright?" Joe stopped his rambling when he noticed how pale his teammate's face suddenly was.

"Yeah, I just...I had a bit of a deja vu," Felipe shook his head, trying to shake off a sour feeling that had formed in the pit of his stomach. Of course, he knows what Joe's remark reminded him of, how could he forget? Once in a while, he thinks of Rosa. It has been 6 years since he has seen her for the last time. He really believed that they could manage the long distance between them and remain friends. But they fell out of touch way too quickly.

"Do you want to talk about it? It seems like it hit you quite hard and letting it out might be good for you," Joe offered, and Felipe guessed it wasn't a bad idea. They both sat on the bench silently before Felipe was ready to talk.

"Back in Brazil I had a friend, her name was Rosa. There wasn't a day we wouldn't spend together, she was my best friend. She always knew how to wake up my mischievous side, she was my partner in crime. But one day, I had to leave to Europe to pursue my career. I promised her to keep in touch but I broke my promise. She must think I'm a traitor because I haven't written a single letter I promised to send, I haven't sent a single message I intended to write. I haven't visited her every time I stopped by."

"Why?"

"I don't know...I guess I was afraid. You know, it's brutal in Brazil, especially for a person like her. Her parents can recite the Bible from cover to cover, yet they don't remember her daughter's birthday. They are not enough for her but she had to stay with them because she wasn't an adult yet. I remember how she wore long sleeves even in the burning heat because every time her father was angry, she was the one who felt it the most," Felipe sighed while looking down at his hands in his lap, "that's why I always invited her over so she could spend most of the time outside of her house...I wanted to do something to make her feel a bit happier."