24| Protect

Chapter 24: Protect (Ace's POV)

It's now been a week since our wedding. I went to work today, so did she. I normally stay home until a little later towards the nighttime instead of the evening, but I knew she leaves work fairly early, so I left the club and headed home too. 

When I walked into our bedroom, I found her sitting on the foot of the bed, staring off into space. 

This past week we acted like a completely normal couple. We kissed, we made out, we fondled, we cuddled, we smiled. We talked a little, getting to know each other a little better, a little deeper each time. And I almost cherished it. Almost. 

But I'm looking at her now and she looks a little disoriented. "Hi," she said, giving me a small smile. She was still in her work clothes, a barbie pink blazer with matching trousers and matching heels. 

I told her this morning that she looked like a Crayola. "Hi, Crayola." 

She rolled her eyes and shrugged her blazer off, revealing the white camisole underneath. "Are you bloody?" she asked. 

"No. It's my first day back at work, I haven't interrogated anybody today." 

"Good." She stood up and walked to me, throwing her arms around my neck and hugging me. 

Oh. This is new. 

I wrapped my arms around her waist, both of us standing still. "What's wrong?" 

"Nothing," she mumbled, pulling away and looking at me. She tucked her hair, which was pin-straight today and parted down the middle, behind her ear. 

"What's wrong?" I repeated. 

"Nothing, I was just overwhelmed with work today, so I'm a little tired," she chuckled, leaning up and pecking my lips. "I'll go change now." 

I grabbed her wrist, pulling her back and she stumbled a little in heels, crashing right into me again. "What time did you get back?" 

"Around seven." 

I glanced at the clock. It's been forty-five minutes. "You've just sat here for forty-five minutes without even changing. I'll ask again. What's wrong?" 

She sighed, running a hand through her hair. "Um, nothing, I just... I need to ask you something." 

"Go ahead." 

"Can you teach me how to use a gun and dagger? And I mean use it properly?" 

I blinked in utter surprise. "Can I do what?" 

"See, forget it." 

"Oi!" 

She stared at me, looking tired. She actually must have had a lot of work and clearly, something happened on top of that which she isn't telling me. 

"Why do you suddenly want to learn that? Plans to join the business?" 

"Ace—" 

"Then something happened, didn't it?" 

"It was nothing." 

"Just fucking tell me, Gianna. Before I lose my fucking shit right now. I will kill anybody who did anything to you, let alone touch you." 

"Nobody did anything." 

"Then why are you asking me to teach you self-defense with weapons?" 

She blinked, chewing on the inside of her cheek. 

"I'll teach you if you tell me." 

"I was followed home today." 

"You were what? By whom?"