Can't Be As Bad As The First Time | Pearl X Reader

You had been hanging out at Steven's today. It was now nighttime. Steven was in bed, and had been asleep for a while now. Garnet and Amethyst were in their rooms, leaving only you and...

"Pearl?" You called out to the pale gem sitting near you on the couch.

"Hmm?" She hummed in response, now turning her head to face you.

"Have you ever tried sleeping? I know you don't need it, but I'm just asking."

Pearl's eyes widened before she turned away, and you swear you saw her shiver slightly. "I—I did try one time... yes."

"I'm assuming it didn't go so well?" You joked, playfully nudging Pearl in the arm.

"You could say that." She laughed quietly. "I had one of those... what did Steven call them? Nightmares! Yes, I had a nightmare." Pearl elaborated.

"Do you remember what it was about?" You asked.

"I—" Pearl began. "No! No recollection at all!" She blurted out too quickly, just making her even more suspicious.

Okay, she definitely remembered. "If you say so." You laughed with a shrug.

"Maybe... do you want to try again?" You suggested. "Might've just been unlucky, nightmares are sometimes just random."

Pearl put her hand to her chin and hummed in thought for a few moments before turning back to you.

"I suppose... it can't be as bad as the first time." Pearl finally spoke up.

You let out a quiet "Yay!" as a cheer of victory, raising your arms in the air. Pearl found your behaviour very cute.

You then pulled up the cover of your blanket on the couch.

Pearl raised an eyebrow at you in confusion.

"Come on, cuddling helps sleep." You said, before tugging Pearl by her hand towards you gently.

She let out a small "Oh!" in surprise as she landed next to you on the soft cushioning.

You let her lie down beside you, then wrapped your arms around Pearl's waist, while she just... led there stiffly, with her arms by her sides, staring up at the ceiling.

"You sure you comfy like that?" You asked, letting go of her.

"I suppose I could move to get a bit more... comfortable, yes." Pearl responded as she turned to face her body towards you and rested her hands on top of her chest. You saw she had a faint teal blush across her face as her eyes avoided yours.

"There. Much better." You whispered as Pearl's eyes reluctantly fluttered shut and you moved your arms back around her skinny waist.

The two of you stayed in that position for a while. You could've gotten comfier, but didn't want to make Pearl feel nervous if you moved too close.

She breathed very softly and gently, lying very still. She didn't jostle about much at all, although, the occasional hum would breach from her lips.

Eventually, you knew Pearl had fallen asleep as her body relaxed and unexpectedly her head fell down onto your chest, and her arms wrapped around it firmly. You felt your face heat up, but you didn't want to risk waking her up so you had to keep calm.

Honestly, you didn't really mind this contact that much, actually it was rather nice— and much more comfortable. "Wow, very forward Pearl." You joked in a whisper.

You laid your chin on top of Pearl's head lightly and pulled her closer to you. Her thin frame made it quite easy to hold her.

At no point in the night did Pearl show any sign of having a nightmare. Her breathing was quiet and she laid relatively motionless with her legs finding their way between yours, weaving themselves together. Everything was as it should be.

Something that did surprise you though was when her gem lit up. The Pearl atop her forehead began to shine a dim blue, projecting an image above. Was this her dream? That's an easy way to check if she's having a nightmare.

You looked up at the projection and could make out two figures.

Pearl and...you?

The two of you were sat along the beach just as the sun was setting, the waves washing up against the shore dragging grains of sand along with them. You two were talking, with dream Pearl resting her head against your shoulder, gazing at the falling sun. You decided to listen in closer.

"You know I've been meaning to tell you something for a while Y/n..." Dream Pearl began.

Dream Y/n hummed in response, glancing down at Pearl to be met with her beautiful blue eyes staring right back.

"Perhaps... it would be easier to show in a gesture." Pearl suggested before gently planting her hands on your shoulders, starting to lean in closer, her face inching towards yours.

You snapped your neck away from the projection with a deep blush and sweat forming on your forehead, slamming your eyes shut and covering your ears with your hands. "No! I am not spying on her dreams!" You thought to yourself.

At least it wasn't a nightmare.

You turned back to Pearl and there was a deep blue colouring on her cheeks, plus she was smiling warmly. As long as she was happy, you supposed.

You leaned down and placed a quick kiss against her gem, and then lied back down to actually get some sleep this time.

You were happy that you had given Pearl a pleasant experience with sleeping, especially after what happened the first time.

Although... you felt like you'd have to bring up what exactly was happening in that dream with her later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~