Chapter-16

Unedited

After a few months

My days have been going smoothly. Having Issac and Christoper by my side made things a lot easier than before. Isla was trying her best to make my life her but since she was a year below me kept our contact to a minimal amount. Caleb was completely gone during these months. I had also had a few eye contact with Jabari but thankfully he didn't make a move to kill me yet.

I sat in my room thinking about my plans. According to the original, there would be an attack by the army of chaos after a few years. Many died in that attack. Later empire was able to stabilize the situation with the help of the capture targets and the heroine. In the story, Jabari persuaded the demon king to help them. The demon king was a semi-important character and was the king of a powerful land. During that time, the heroine was able to change the mindset of people and made them understand that dark magic is not evil. From then on the people with dark magic were not treated badly.

"Are you just gonna sit there looking into the space? I am bored....lets go out." Reebell whined like a child. 

"Can you stop acting so spoiled. Just go by yourself. Its not like i have chained you or something." I yelled.

"I don't wanna go alo- *cough* leave you here alone. Who knows what you might do again." 

I am pretty sure that he changed his sentence midway. 

There had been a very gloomy atmosphere today in the mansion. When I asked Vera, I came to know that today is the death anniversary of the duchess. 

"The duke is calling you." Vera came to tell me.

"What???? Again???" I groaned. I didn't want to meet him on the day he thinks I killed his wife.

I dragged myself up from bed and dressed in more formal clothes.

Walking down long hallways towards his study I thought about the reason why he might have called me but got nothing. 

I didn't create any trouble recently.

Reaching the mahogany doors I stood in front of them and took a deep breath. When I knocked on the door I received a "Come in" in a cold voice.

I am having a strong sense of Deja-vu.

Entering the room I saw him writing some documents with a dip pen just like last time. But this time he looked up when I entered. 

"The crown prince's birthday is coming in a few days. I don't want you to create any trouble like last time." As soon as he said those I felt like something in me might snap. 

'I' didn't create those troubles. It's exhausting to be constantly blamed, ignored, bullied for something I never did. 

But I still maintained my composure and bowed my head.

"I will not do anything that might tarnish the Hesling name, sire." I said in the most sincere tone I could gather. 

"I don't want empty promises. I want results." He said again.

"I will not disappoint you, Sir." I kept my head bowed. He looked at me for a while before he sighed.

"You can look up." After getting his permission i looked at him but by that time he had returned to writing something.

God knows what he is writing all day long!

"I heard about what happened from Christopher. You saved Issac and i think that you deserve a reward for that. Tell me what you want. As long as its something reasonable ii will give it to you."

I could ask for money as my reward. I mean you can never have enough money when you know you'd have to fend for yourself in a few years. But.......

"Can i wish for anything?"

"Stay within your limits. I already told you that it has to be something reasonable." 

'The duke really loves to jump to conclusions.'

There's something that has been bugging me ever since i received Alex's memories but it would've been too heartless and inappropriate to ask out of nowhere.

"I wish for you to truthfully answer a question of mine."

I could his hand visibly falter as he was about the dip the pen in the inkpot. But it was gone as soon as it came and he continued.

"What is the question?"

"On the night mother was killed you blamed me for her death. The next day you came to me and apologized saying that it wasn't my fault. But after a few days, you blamed me for her death again....Why?"

As soon as i said this his movements stopped. His were so wide that they might as well pop out. A drop of ink started to form on the tip of the freshly dipped pen.

The memory were the duke apologize and hugged him was as clear as yesterday in Alexander's mind. Probably because that was the last time when he saw his father look at him with love and care. Alex was a child and did not dig deep into this strange detail but for me, this was so weird and I just had to know what caused him to say change his statements so frequently.

The ink drop fell from the one to the paper which he was working on. The drop fell on the paper breaking the silence in the room. He took a deep breath.

"I cannot answer that question." He said in a firm tone ending the discussion.

"Why?" I asked desperately. Tears were forming a glassy layer on eyes blurring my vision.

"Please ask for something else as a reward."

"Then tell me why don't you just abandon me? Just throw me back to the filthy place you picked me up from. Why keep someone who was the reason for the death of your beloved? Why do you deal with my fucked up antics and tell Christopher to clean up after me? Why do not give the attention that I have craved for ever since I lost mom? Why do you treat me like air when I need you the most? Why?" My voice was rising slowly as I spoke until it reached yelling and I fell down crying. The duke turned his face away from me.

"I cannot answer any of those questions." His voice was cold and detached. 

"Then tell me....do you know how I am being treated at home and at the academy?" 

His face was still facing away from me but i saw him gulp. 

"Yes."

That was all I need to hear before I ran away. My body felt like i had no strength but my feet were not willing to stop. I ran out of the estate and into the streets.

My vision was blurry and i bumped into many people before making it to a secluded place where i could would not be seen by anyone. All the adrenaline from before was gone and my legs gave up. I slid down the wall and pressed my hands against my eyes to stop the tears from flowing but they just wouldn't stop.

What happened there? Why did I become so emotional? I felt like something came over me.

'Have you heard about being taken over by emotions?' Reebell asked.

'Yes.'

'Currently, one-third of your memories are of the real Alexander's. The situation there was very triggering for Alexander. Your emotions took over you. Don't worry it will wear off after a while and as you make more memories their influence over you will deplete.' Reebell explained. His voice was very low clearly affected by what just happened.

I sat there until the sky turned black and the people in the streets disappeared. I didn't want to go back to the estate just yet. I need to gather my thoughts together by going back. I would actually run away if he was not paying for my much-needed education and daily necessities. I wanted to book a room in an inn but then I remembered that I didn't have any money with me. So, I just slept there beside a huge wooden box as my backrest.

------------------------------------------------

This was heavily edited. So there might be some mistakes that I will take care of while proofreading.

 Until next time..........