Chapter 1

"Put her down as easy as you can!" Steve shouted, holding onto Natasha as the quinjet spiraled towards the ground.

"Well, Capsical, we aren't exactly going into a freezing ocean! We're going into a forest; it's not going to be easy!" Tony shouted back. His suit was out of commission, or he'd be bringing the jet down that way; Thor was out cold, and well anyone else who could help them was down for the count as well.

Steve went to yell at Tony again before seeing the trees growing closer and grabbed the man from the jet's seat, pulling them all closer to the back. Trees snapped, metal broke, sparks flew, and started to catch fire. The ground came quickly, and by that time, everyone's strength had given out. The jet was rubble around them as they lay in the cold dirt. As he tried to move, Steve looked around as he could see his team, but their conditions were unknown; he grew weary. The Avengers needed a hero.

Ω

"What is it?" She looked to the tree, hearing the low hoot from the owl. "A jet crashed in the forest? Are you sure you didn't see things?" A screech sounded from the tree, and the owl swooped down and landed on her arm.

"Oh, the others saw it too. Okay, relay up to the jet and give me an update; I'll get my things. Find Buzz would you? He'll make it back before you will." She told the owl, throwing her arm out as it took flight, heading north. She muttered to herself, listing off things she might need; she didn't have enough information to know what she was getting into going to the wreckage.

"Okay, now I need something to pull this," She gave a whistle waiting for an answer. As she did, a tiny hummingbird raced past her and turned back. "Okay, calm down; what's going on? People. How many? Five maybe more, okay. Head back, let everyone know I'm on my way, and to stay hidden." The hummingbird raced off at the orders, and her call was answered; a bull Elk walked up to her.

"About time, yeah, I know you've got better things to do. Do not make me tell all of the cows what you think about them. Fight me. We don't have time for this. Let's go." She rolled her eyes; the Elk snorted and turned for her to put a harness on it and attach the wagon behind it. She jumped into the wagon without a word, and the Elk quickly pulled it into the forest.

"Can you not hit every damn rock and stump you see!" She shouted, holding onto the front of the wagon, almost bouncing out of it. "What do you mean this is all from– Holy shit."

The wagon came to a stop, and she stepped down from it, shocked at the damage one jet crash did to her forest. "It's going to take me years to fix all of this," She sighed, removing the wagon from the Elks harness. "Find me the survivors; they're the main priority; we'll work on the clean-up later."

Her hummingbird raced up to her, chirping in her ear; he pecked at it lightly, pulling her to follow him. "What did you find, Buzz?" She followed him, pushing aside parts of the jet hissing as some of it was still burning hot. She watched her step as a family of rabbits ran around her feet, trying to point her in other directions, possibly to people. She continued to follow the hummingbird. "Where's Elder?" She asked, looking to the trees; it wasn't like the owl to be far.

The hummingbird came to a stop in front of a large side of the jet, her breath hitching, "Oh no," she moved around the chunk of the plane and found three people. "Please wake up, come on." She shook one, hoping to get a response; she could see they were alive.

Coughing from another direction caught her attention; she left the unconscious person going to the coughing. She found a man lying alone against a tree. "Hey, you're okay; what happened?" She asked, kneeling in front of them, resting a hand on their shoulder.

"My name is Steve Rogers; we were attacked when flying, lost both engines. Most of us were already hurt," He coughed, leaning forward.

"Well, Captain, do you think you can move?" She asked, holding a hand out to him.

"Possibly, the others, are they okay?" He took her hand, she slowly pulled him to stand, leaning him back against the tree.

"I don't know yet. If you can, I'll need your help getting them into my wagon. You'll know if we've found everyone; if anyone is missing, I'll be sure to send someone to find them." Observing as he took a step, he stumbled for a minute before catching himself and walking with more strength.

"There were eight of us. Tony, Nat, Thor, Bruce, Bucky, Sam, Wanda, and myself," Steve stepped forward to the large chunk of the jet. "There's Bucky, Sam, and Wanda." He pointed.

"Okay, wait here," She told him, giving a whistle and making her way to the cart. "We might have to make two trips. Get some of the others; anyone who might be able to hang on will go that way." The Elk grunted, letting out a call before walking to the wagon and pulling it behind her.

"Who were you talking to– That's a massive animal." Steve stumbled back, watching the elk approach him.

"Don't ask questions; help with loading them into the wagon," She told Steve and walked to the three people rolling them off of one another. She picked up the girl first, laying her at the front of the wagon.

Steve struggled to pick up Sam, and he pulled him to the wagon and rested him beside it. "Let me help; I don't think I could pick up metal arm over here on my own either," She walked up to Steve, leaning Bucky next to Sam. Steve gave a silent nod before grabbing Bucky under the arms as she grabbed his feet, lifting him into the wagon; they did the same with Sam.

"What's with the, uh, animals?" Steve asked, slowly limping his way to where he believed Tony and Natasha to be.

"It's my thing. But, again, don't ask," She shrugged, following a frantic rabbit. "This way, something's wrong over here." Steve's attention turned to her quickly. He limped up to her finding Thor and Bruce in a large hole.

"That's going to be fun," Steve huffed, going to slide down into the hole.

She stopped him, taking a step back. "I'll get them out another way; find your other friends." Steve shot her a questioning look; he didn't want to know what her other way might be. He was concerned with Tony and Nat; they were the only two who weren't already injured when the plane went down.

After searching for five minutes, Steve couldn't find them; a slight panic began to set in. "They're around two miles east; the team has already found them and is taking them back to my place as we speak," She walked up to Steve, resting a hand on his shoulder. "We should worry about the rest of your friends for now. Get in."

"Should I ask what kind of team you have?" Steve asked, climbing into the wagon and taking place next to Wanda; he brushed the hair from her face watching her slowly breathe.

"Probably not." She laughed, hoisting herself onto the back of the elk.

"What's your name? If I can ask that."

"Fern."