Chapter 33

It felt like the party had lasted for hours, and by the time the guests had all cleared out, the team was sitting in the original event room laughing at one of Thor's horrible stories. Fern smiled, looking around at all of her friends; she hadn't felt so happy in a long time.

"Who wants to play a game of truth or dare?" Tony asked, taking a seat next to Steve. The group rolled their eyes yet agreed that it would be fun. "Wonderful, Capsicle, truth or dare?" He turned to the man sitting next to him.

"Truth."

"Boring!" Fern laughed at Steve's answer.

"I agree, but who here do you fear the most?" Tony smirked, looking around the room.

"Ryker." Steve chuckled, looking at the wolf. Ryker growled from his place at Fern's feet. "Fern, truth or dare?"

"Dare." Fern innocently smiled.

"Don't give me that smile," Steve glared at her. "I dare you to show us a part of your powers that might kill someone."

"Okay," Fern giggled. She sat there, continuing to smile at everyone innocently. They all sat confused for a moment until they heard a growl from behind Thor and Loki. Ryker stood behind the Asgardians, growling and snapping his jaws at them for a moment before stopping as if it had never happened, and laid down wagging his tail.

"What was that?" Loki asked, worried for his life.

"I never said I had to speak out loud to animals. However, it works best if I have a connection to them. So I would say it's fairly deadly." Fern chuckled, watching as Elder flew down from a rafter, grabbing at Thor's hair and flying off as the god waved his hands at him.

"Duly noted. Never get on your bad side." Loki scooted away from Thor, knowing that anything could happen to his brother with Fern around; he didn't want to be caught in the crossfire.

"Clint, truth or dare?" Fern devilishly smiled.

"Why do you hate me? Dare." Clint rolled his eyes.

"Robin Hood, shoot an apple from my head without looking." The room turned to Fern, nervous energy filling the room. "You're the one who picked dare."

"Sometimes, I think you want me to be attacked by that wolf. Fine, get up, let's go," Clint sighed, leaving the room and quickly returning with his bow and a single arrow. Fern smirked and used her powers to turn the apple core she saw in the garbage back into a beautiful Red Delicious apple and stood on the far side of the room. Fern was doing this to get a rise out of Clint; she knew well that he wouldn't hurt her.

"Alright, kid, you better not flinch." The room froze as Clint turned his body enough to aim his bow, his eyes closed, and his head turned away from Fern. Fern watched as Clint bit his lip before releasing the arrow; she rolled her eyes as the apple lifted off her head and stuck to the wall with the arrow. "I hate when you make me do that," Clint said, walking over and hugging Fern tightly.

"Yeah, but you still love me. Someone has to make sure that your retired ass doesn't start slacking." Fern smiled, taking her seat next to Bucky once again.

"Never, make me watch something like that again," Bucky whispered to her. He held his breath from the second Fern dared Clint.

"I won't." Fern smiled, grabbing his hand in hers. She closed her eyes for a moment as the game continued.

"Bucky, truth or dare?" Fern opened her eyes as Natasha soon turned the game on Bucky.

"Truth." Bucky sighed.

"Biggest fear?" Natasha smiled, knowing that his answer had changed from what she knew it used to be.

"Losing the most important thing in my life." Bucky glanced at Fern, knowing that he wouldn't know what to do if something happened to her.

"I'm going to head to bed; I'll see you all in the morning," Fern smiled at her friends and quickly left the room. She took a deep breath as she stopped in the elevator. The doors began to close as Bucky slipped into the elevator, standing next to her. They were quiet; it felt weird.

"Did you have fun?" Bucky asked, causing Fern to jump. She wasn't expecting him to break the silence so soon.

"Yes, probably the most fun I've ever had." Fern smiled, glancing at him out of the corner of her eye. The elevator stopped, and the pair walked out, making their way down the hall, stopping outside of Fern's room.

"I'm glad." Bucky scratched at the back of his neck. "You look amazing, you know. I don't think there was a single person who wasn't jealous."

"As you said, the best looking dame in the world. Well, I had the greatest gentleman to spend the night with." Fern chewed at the inside of her cheek, looking up at Bucky through her lashes.

"I don't know about that, but I sure tried my best," Bucky looked at his feet, mentally yelling at himself to grow a pair.

Fern sighed, she hoped that Bucky would make his move, but she was losing hope. She rested her hand on the doorknob and pushed the door open. "Night, Buck," Fern whispered, going to disappear in her room when Bucky caught her elbow.

"Not yet," Bucky whispered, pulling her into him. Bucky rested his vibranium hand on Fern's waist, and his flesh hand went to her cheek; he rested their foreheads together. Fern stared into his oceanic eyes and bit her lip as her heart began to pound in her chest. "I can't let you go to bed just like that. I've been trying to take this slow, but it's been so hard when I keep falling deeper and deeper."

"Bucky," Fern smiled, cupping his face in her hands. He looked at her, staring into her eyes and smiling. Bucky was happy, and he never wanted that to go away. He pulled her closer, which seemed impossible, their lips brushing and noses bumping. Fern's eyes fluttered shut as Bucky tilted his head forward, bringing their lips together.

The kiss was short and sweet. Bucky pulled away, resting their foreheads together and relieved sigh escaping his lips. "I hope you know that I would do anything for you," He whispered, pecking her lips.

"Then join me," Fern smirked, pushing the door open with her foot and leading Bucky into her room.