Chapter 35

Fern smiled as her eyes fluttered open in the morning to find Bucky quietly snoring next to her. She rolled out of his arms and looked out the window, seeing that it was about eight in the morning. Grabbing a throw blanket from the couch, she walked out onto the balcony; Buzz greeted her as he fluttered in. "Morning Buzzy," She whispered, not wanting to wake the sleeping super-soldier; Fern knew how light of a sleeper he was.

Fern leaned against the railing, looking into the morning sky, watching birds fly around in the air; she tilted her head in confusion when seeing something much larger than an ordinary bird flying above the compound. "Buzz, what is that?" The hummingbird chirped his answer. "Oh, I haven't seen Sam in action; he looks comfortable there." Fern smiled, watching the man fly around the area, a small Falcon on his tail.

"Morning doll," Bucky hummed, walking up behind her, pulling her into his arms.

"Did I wake you? I was trying to let you sleep," Fern smiled, turning in his arms to face him.

"No, I went to roll over, and you weren't there, so I guess you had woken up. I'm late for my run with Steve," Bucky chuckled, pecking her lips happily.

"Hey, no PDA!" Sam shouted from behind them.

"And no one told you to be flying around here at this time of the morning, so why don't you mind your own damn business," Bucky snapped at his friend.

"Morning, Sam," Fern laughed, looking over her shoulder. "You two seem to be getting along well." The Falcon flew around Sam, giving a happy squawk.

"Doing great. Steve's waiting for you Buck, better get a move on. He's got two laps on you," Sam smirked before flying off.

"Shit," Bucky hissed.

"What?" Fern tilted her head as Bucky walked into her room, pulling on his suit pants quickly.

"Steve and I have a bet going on. Whoever gets to five hundred laps around the compound first gets to pick the loser's punishment. I picked for Steve to do the old speech he did when he first became Cap, before saving me. I never got to see it, and Tony's already working on making a replica of the suit. I don't know what Steve has planned for me yet," Bucky explained. He rushed back over and pressed a kiss to her cheek before running out of the room.

"Good luck," Fern called after him. She looked at Ryker on the couch, "Let me guess, you're going to join him? Fine, I will see what Wanda's doing then." The wolf howled before running after Bucky, leaving Fern to get herself ready for the day.

She dressed before walking through the compound to find Wanda. Walking past the lab, she saw Bruce and Tony working what looked to be her suit; she waved at them when they looked up before moving on. Finally, she found the kitchen where Wanda and Vision were sitting. "Good morning, you two," Fern beamed.

"Good Morning Fern, I saw Bucky leave your room just now," Wanda smirked, stirring her coffee with her powers.

"Yes, like he did yesterday as well. What is your point, Wanda?" Fern bit her lip, knowing precisely what Wanda wanted to ask.

"He looked rather ravished and in a hurry, odd if you ask me." Wanda wiggled her brow.

"Wanda, what they do is their business; you shouldn't be so nosy," Vision sighed.

"It's okay, Vis," Fern chuckled. "Bucky and I cuddled last night; he left in a rush because he has some kind of a bet going on with Steve that I think he's losing."

"Correct, Sergeant Barnes is at 345 laps, while Captain Rogers is at 350 as of this morning. But, Sergeant Barnes seems to be everyone's pick to win," Vision elaborated.

"Bucky said that he didn't know what Steve's punishment would be for him. Do you know Vision?" Fern asked as Sam and Loki walked into the room.

"Steve wants Bucky to try and ride the Thunderbird." Sam chuckled.

"I'm sorry, what?" Fern shrieked; her expression was a mix of fear, confusion, and utter disbelief.

"Captain Rogers believes that, because of Sergeant Barnes' connection to you, he could eventually get away with it," Vision explained.

"No, nope," Fern began to speed walk out of the compound, seeing Steve and Bucky keeping pace with each other as they rounded the corner leading to the front of the building. Fern opened the ground from beneath them using her powers and closed it back around their waists as they fell in.

"What in the hell, Fern!" Bucky exclaimed as she walked up to them.

"Language." Steve glared at his best friend.

"What the hell back to you! Did you think I wouldn't find out what Steve's part of this whole thing was going to be? You are not going to try and ride the fucking Thunderbird! Not happening! I swear of all the stupid things that one of you could come up with. This is over," Fern chastised the pair.

"Oh come on, doll, it's all in good fun," Bucky laughed.

"No, just no." Fern glared before walking away.

"You aren't going to leave us here, are you? Fern?" Steve called as she continued to walk into the compound, leaving the pair stuck in the ground.

"You think she's going to come back?" Bucky asked, trying to lift himself out of the ground. Even with his vibranium arm, he wasn't getting anywhere.

"You tell me, she's your girlfriend," Steve deadpanned.

"She's not my–" Bucky paused, "We need to get out of this now. Then you need to help me plan the best date in the world." Bucky began digging his way out of the ground, hoping that it wouldn't take as long as he knew it would.

"Well, while we dig our way out of here, we can plan," Steve sighed, trying to wiggle his toes. "She didn't completely seal us in, but I think we're going to lose circulation if you don't start digging faster."

"Well, punk, you better start helping," Bucky glared at his best friend, digging as quickly as he could.

"Oh, this is gold. You're never getting out of there," Sam laughed, flying over them.

"Get your ass down here and help us!" Bucky shouted after him.

"Buck, language." Steve sighed.

"Steve, I am going to punch you. Make him come back here and help us." Bucky was beginning to question his choice of friends as Ryker ran up behind him and started digging. "That's what I'm talking about." Bucky grinned, petting the top of Ryker's head as he continued to dig himself out of the ground.

"Hey, what about me?" Steve gasped, seeing that Bucky was nearly free.

"Ask Sam for help," Bucky smirked, wrapping his arms around Ryker's neck as his feet were the only part still stuck. "Pull Ryk, then maybe you can think about helping out Steve." Ryker howled as he pulled Bucky out of the ground, happy to be earning tummy rubs for helping. He looked at Steve still in the ground and followed Bucky inside.