Chapter 31

"If I didn't know you, I wouldn't recognize you. You look fucking stunning," Natasha beamed as the hairdresser finished curling Fern's hair. The chair turned, and Fern covered her mouth in shock; Natasha was right. If she didn't know better, she wouldn't believe it was her. "Bucky is going to die when he sees you. Oh, think of Clint and Tony; they won't see you as a little girl anymore."

"Oh no, poor Clint," Fern laughed. The trio thanked the team as they left the salon and began their journey back to the compound.

"Seriously, you're going to have King T'Challa kneeling for you. Bucky might end up fist-fighting half of the team." Wanda laughed as they pulled into the compound. "We need to get you into the compound without anyone seeing you."

"My balcony door is open. You could lift us to it. You'll have to make sure that Bucky isn't there waiting for me." Fern smirked, liking Wanda's idea.

"I'll handle Bucky; you two sneak around back and get onto that balcony." Natasha parked the car running ahead of them. Fern and Wanda shared a look as they grabbed as many bags as possible and ran to the side of the building that Fern's room was on. Natasha was waiting on the balcony, giving them the all-clear.

"He insists on talking to you. So I told him to wait outside, we'll get you into the bathroom, and then he can talk to you through the door," Natasha said as the pair landed on the balcony.

"This is starting to sound like I'm hiding from my future husband on my wedding day, girls. We're pushing it," Fern laughed as they walked into Fern's large bathroom. They placed their bags in the closest on the bench that was inside.

"We're going to get the rest of the bags. Talk to Bucky, don't let him see you. See it as walking down the stairs to prom than a wedding." Natasha smiled.

"I didn't go to prom either," Fern said dully.

"Even better!" Wanda shouted as she and Natasha ran from the room.

Fern sat there for a moment before a knock came from the door; she wanted so badly to open it. "Doll? Can we talk, please?" Bucky's voice was broken.

"I'm sorry," Fern apologized, resting her forehead against the door. "I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions as quickly as I did."

"No, doll, it's okay. But I want you to know that I only told T'Challa about how the Thunderbird protected the forest, and it was how you got your powers. I wasn't going to tell him anymore without you meeting him first." Bucky sighed; placing his hands on the other side of the door, he leaned onto them, hanging his head. "I trust him with my life, Fern. I wouldn't risk yours."

"I know. I just– After the Thunderbird crashed the jet, I didn't have a choice but to tell everyone; after Hydra, I was forced into telling Fury and his men. I just want to have a choice in who knows Buck. I don't regret telling everyone after the crash because I wouldn't have all of you in my life. I wouldn't have you." Fern breathed out. She was so happy that she met the Avengers, even if she was upset that they were there initially. "Trusting people isn't my strong suit, but I'm trying."

"I know, doll. I promise not to tell anyone else, ever. It's your secret, but just know that I was trying to help you. If anything ever happened to me, or Steve and the team couldn't be there for you, Wakanda would be there." Bucky said, trying to reassure her.

"Alright, Barnes, time for you to skedaddle. We have a party to get ready for," Natasha pushed Bucky away from the door and out of the room before Fern could protest. The pair entered the room, and Wanda weakly smiled at her newest friend.

"How did it go?" Wanda asked, pulling Fern over to the bench in the closet to sit.

"Don't act like you didn't hear all of it. But lord, it hurt to hear him so broken," Fern weakly chuckled.

"You mean the world to that man. He knows that you have a future together, and Bucky is going to make sure that it happens." Wanda smiled, squeezing Fern's hands. "Let's get you ready. Party starts in thirty, so you better cheer up. You'll be in his arms in no time."

"Well, Wanda, you better get my crown, Nat, come help me into my dress and shoes." The trio laughed and began fighting on their dresses and high heels, fixing their hair and make-up. It felt like far longer than half an hour had passed by the time the three of them were ready.

"Damn, we look hot," Fern boasted as they stood in front of the large mirror in her closet. She adjusted the Thunderbird crown on her head, pleased with how she looked. "You think I can get T'Challa to call me your highness like Steve and Bucky did?" The trio burst out laughing.

"Let's go find out," Wanda smirked, grabbing her best friend's hands and walking out of the room.

Elder, Ryker, and Buzz rushed over to Fern, "Do you wish to escort me to the party?" She smiled at them. Buzz landed in her hair, Elder on her shoulder, and Ryker took his place on her left side. "I've got my guards, time to go."