Chapter 5

Fern sat in her room; it was nearing two in the morning. She was watching the storm; it was beginning to worry her that it hadn't let up at all. The thought of there being something else upsetting the Thunderbird started into her mind. "If you wish to attack me, try harder." Fern looked up at her bedroom door, a shadowed figure standing in it. "Your friends are in the rooms down the hall if you're looking for them."

"Who are you?" The voice held fear in it; Fern knew that tone all too well.

"I'm Fern; I saved you after the crash. You're safe here, you know." She watched the figure walk into her room, further lightning illuminating them. "You're the Winter Soldier, right? But that's not what you go by, sorry. Bucky, I think that's what Steve told me."

"You seem familiar. Do I know you from somewhere?" He asked, growing closer to her. Bucky went to ask her another question, hearing a growl come from the corner of the room.

"Don't act scared, and he won't attack," Fern warned him, clicking on the lamp on her bedside table. Resting in the corner of the room was a large brown wolf, its dark brown eyes bored into Bucky. "He's weak, so it's doubtful that he's going to move any time soon."

Fern moved from her bed and onto the floor next to the wolf, resting her hand on its head. "He's amiable when he isn't trying to protect me," Fern looked at Bucky, smiling at his puzzled reaction. "I'm weird, and I can talk to animals; I help them. Come, he'll stop growling if you show that you aren't a threat." She held her hand out to Bucky, waving him closer.

Slowly Bucky walked closer to the girl and the wolf holding his hand out to them. "Both, he can tell that there's something different about you," Fern reached for both of Bucky's hands. He hesitated with his metal hand, never knowing what could happen. "I'll hurt you before you have the chance to hurt him or me; trust yourself."

Bucky swallowed air before holding both of his hands out for the wolf to snarl at before sniffing. The wolf slowly stopped growling, allowing Bucky to move closer and rest his hand on its shoulder. "I didn't think their fur would be this soft," Bucky smiled. He was amazed by the different textures and layers of fur.

"We're all full of surprises," Fern smiled, watching Bucky interact with the wolf. "He likes you; he can feel the pain you've been through, just like he has. Maybe while you're here, you can help him get back on his feet, as your friends did you with."

"I don't think I would be much help with that; I'm not exactly back on my feet. I'm far from it," Bucky sighed, leaning back into the wall he was next to. "Are you sure we've never met before?"

"Fairly," Fern nodded, watching as another flash of lightning lit the room. "Damn bird," She muttered.

"Bird?" Bucky tilted his head to the side and furrowed his eyebrows.

"Fern, have you seen– Bucky, thank goodness, I went to check on you, and you weren't in bed anymore." Steve ran into the room. He paused at the sight of the wolf lying next to the pair of humans. "I have learned well not to ask."

"Good idea, why don't you show Bucky a more comfortable room. The one across the hall should suit him well, the bed isn't too soft, and the blankets are thin." Fern smiled at them, resting her hand on the wolf's head once again. Steve didn't question her as he gestured for Bucky to follow him.

"Uh, it was nice meeting you," Bucky said, stopping at the door. He stared at her for another moment, trying to put a thought together in his head before Steve touched his arms, breaking his thoughts.