Chapter 28

The crash of the porcelain breaking. Jagged pieces of the dolls head flying in different directions.

Silence.

No one even breaths. Cole smiles, he's about to say something when...

A scream of rage fills the house,like they've never heard before. So loud, the walls vibrate. And then pounding at the walls, like a thousand fists beating at the house. Pictures fall from the walls with a crash. A bookcase overturns. A sound like running, a stampede coming from every direction at once. Greta, Malcolm and Cole spin around, trying to follow the sounds.

"What the hell is that?" ask Cole.

The sound of a door opening, but not any door anyone can see. A flash of something out of the corner of Malcolm eye moves outside.

"I think we need to get out of here." Malcolm tells them.

At the front door, the scraping of wood and metal together. Something locking them in.

A loud slam, somewhere back in the kitchen and then silence. More pounding, moving through the house and then... Silence. Everyone freezes in the center of the living room where they've instinctively huddled into a group.

The sound of shuffling coming from somewhere in the walls, moving fast. Cole moves towards the sound.

"Shhh!" he whispers.

Cole puts his ear to the wall. Heavy breathing, like some cornered wild animal.

"Something is in there..." Cole tells them.

SLAM!

A knife blade rips through the wall, hits Cole between the neck and shoulder.

Everyone screams. Cole falls to the floor. Reaches for the wound. Malcolm and Greta run for him.

Pounding, from the inside of the wall. Something running. Malcolm puts pressure on coles wound. Greta hides her smile.

"We have to help him!" Malcolm tells her.

Greta runs to the front door, wanting to escape. She tries to open it, it won't budge.

"It's locked!" she cries.

Greta rushes back into the living room. As the grandfather clock starts ticking.

Tick.

Tick.

Tick.

Greta and Malcolm turn to it as the grandfather clock door swings open. A secret door. Out steps a very large man. A knife in one hand.

" Brahms!" Malcolm whispers in disbelief.

The real Brahms. A child-like face, despite his ago. He's tall, taller than Cole. He has to stoop to get through the passageway and into the living room. He takes two light-as-a-doll steps. His feet wrapped in dirty rags.

He's pale, impossible-painfully-pale. With sores and scratches covering him. He licks his chapped lips nervously. He looks from face to face. A drop of blood falls from his knife.

"Who?" Greta asks nervously.

In a child-like, high, soft voice. "She's mine."

Malcolm moves slowly, he doesn't take his eyes of Brahms.

In a whisper. "Run." He tells Greta.

Greta doesn't move. She can't move.

"It can't be..." Greta tells herself.

"Run. Now." Malcolm whispers again.

"What is that thing? Who is it?" Cole asks them in shallow breaths.