Chapter 1 - The new professor

Y/N's POV

Running through the halls of the university in a hurry, it feels like my heartbeat is in my head, hammering against my skull.

Shit. I can't believe this is actually happening. How can I be late on my first day?

Last night I set my alarm extra early, even laid out the outfit I wanted to wear after hearing my mother's endless lecture about being a responsible adult who should have her shit together.

Well, she didn't quite phrase it like that, but this was the only way I could understand her rambling about having a structured lifestyle, which I clearly didn't have.

I shoulder my way through the halls while clutching my schedule tightly in my hand, smudging the black ink with my sweaty hands.

Already picturing my entrance, my heart pounds a bit stronger, not being embarrassed due to the wandering gazes that will lay on me but Professor Steven's reaction.

English 102 wasn't exactly my strongest class, and drawing more unwelcome attention to me wouldn't make the relationship between me and the professor any better.

At the thought, I blush again out of embarrassment about what's to come and pick up my pace, shoving past other students that pass my way.

After a few minutes, I stand before the classroom before walking into the lion's den. With a shuddering breath, I try to open the door to the lecture hall as quietly as possible.

I realize that the Professor is not here yet, seeing the students lively chatting with each other.

With relief, I make my way down the stairs, willing myself to calm my pounding heart down.

"Hey, y/n! Come here, I reserved a seat for you." James shouts three rows ahead of me, holding his hand up to draw attention to himself.

Smiling at seeing my best friend, I quickly sit down beside him, giving him a short hug.

"God, thank you. I already thought I would be too late and wouldn't find a good seat," I say, sharing my nerve wrecking assumptions with him.

"Because of that, you have me, dummy. Your glorious prince in shining armor." Dramatically, he puts his hands to his chest and makes heart eyes at me, fluttering his eyelashes.

"Oh, don't be so full of yourself, it's making me want to puke." I hiss, slapping him against his arm while rolling my eyes at his childish behavior.

"Well, I can't hide what's clearly there. Besides, why are you so late? I thought your mother lectured you yesterday on the phone. Did Miss y/n not listen to her mommy?," James jokes, knowing about the phone call because afterwards I messaged him, annoyed by my mom still viewing me as a child.

"Oh shut up. My phone lost its battery before my alarm went off and forgot to put it on the charger," I explain.

"Well, lucky for you, the Professor isn't here yet. He would kill you on the spot when you slipped one more time." James mentions pointing to the yet empty desk in front of the whiteboard and I nod in agreement.

"I noticed. Ugh, I could literally kill him for always being so unfriendly to me. It isn't my fault that he can't teach his students properly." I throw in impulsively and clench my jaw while thinking of him. He clearly gets on to my nerves easily, but who could blame me when I nearly failed the class last year.

Glancing at the clock on the wall, I notice that it is already 8:17 am.

Where is this guy? Being a strict person who laid all his priorities on punctuality, it is quite unusual for him to be late.