Chapter 20 - Returnment

Y/N's POV

Whenever I think back to the encounter that happened a few days ago, my stomach pulls together in embarrassment remembering the way my body shocked uncontrollably, tears drenching her white blouse while they poured down my cheeks like waterfalls.

The rest of the night a foggy memory: the black scarf over my bed the only proof of her taking me home.

I grin as I notice that now two of her scarfs are in my possession, still smelling of her sweet perfume, making my restless nights bearable.

But she probably wants them back. I can't have them for too long until she gets suspicious. That would be awkward, knowing that she would probably see through my actions when I don't return them.

With a heavy heart I pack the scarf in my bag before I go to college, walking my favorite route enjoying the first autumn days when the sun still shines warmly down on me.

The first classes rush by faster than I would have thought, the lectures somehow a bit more interesting than usual.

After my third course I go into the cafeteria buying me two cups of coffee, balancing the cups in both hands with my books clamped under my arms.

I hurry to the library, where an impatient James already awaits me at the entrance. We both agreed to do a study session together since we both write our first exams next week and I still haven't done anything.

"Remind me to tell you next time to be here twenty minutes earlier, so you can be on time for once in your life," he groans.

"You know me. Punctuality isn't one of my best qualities." I apologize half-heartedly with a grin.
"But I have coffee." Holding the steaming cups up and, James sighs in satisfaction.

He rolls his eyes but takes one cup with a small smile. "Apology accepted."

We go inside the library, taking a seat at the front windows which give us a beautiful view over the campus.

I take my books and notes out, intent on catching up on the English course, since I didn't quite listen to the lectures the last few days. My mind is always drifting off to more important topics. Like my teacher.

I groan as I see the full written pages. "I don't feel like studying."

"Y/n," he breathes, "We haven't even started yet."

"Hey, I opened a book, that's more than I have done in the last week."

"One hour. I'm also not in the mood, believe me. I much rather hang out in the park or go to the bar... but we both know that we can't fail next week's exam, so studying it is."

I roll my eyes at his argument, but he's right I need to pass the exam or all the hard work from before would be for nothing.

Twenty minutes later, I'm already feeling exhausted, the words before me becoming more and less appealing. Suppressing a yawn, I look out of the windows, eyes following the shifting leaves in the wind that already begin to turn orange, announcing the beginning of autumn with bright colors.

The mostly still fresh leaves remind me of another shade of green, emerald eyes that are framed with long black lashes, pulling me in a daze whenever I gaze at them.

"Y/n?"

"Hm?" I look up at his amused voice, meeting James' curious blue eyes.

"I asked you if you can tell me how you wrote your first argument. I don't know how to phrase it, so I need some inspiration."

I lick my lips thoughtfully, searching my notes to answer his question. "Right. Ehm-..."

My voice is still distant as I read my sentences out loud, hoping that even though I didn't concentrate at all the last minutes, it would be enough for him.