The Mark of the Nimueh 3: Small Lies

Arthur's POV:

          I sat on the cold stone floor, Ellie's crying form still pressed against me. Everyone that once stood in the room had made their way out. Leaving me to comfort the terrified girl and my father to pace the room.

"This can't be happening," she whimpered against my chest. "I know Gwen. She's my maidservant, my friend. Not an enchantress."

"Have you ever seen an enchantress," My father asked. "Believe me, they bear no sign, no mark. There is no sense of evil in the eye."

"I've seen the way the girl works-- her fingers are worn, her nails are broken. If she was a sorceress why would she do this," Ellie asked shakily, her voice soft. "Why would she kneel on a stone cold floor morning after morning when she could make these things happen with a snap of her fingers? Like an idle king."

"you have no right," My father stated, his voice sharp.

"But you have a right to cast judgment on that girl," Ellie asked, pushing away from my embrace and standing to face the king.

"I have a responsibility to take care of this kingdom," He explained harshly.

"And what if it was me," She exclaimed, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"What," I asked softly, from behind her, stepping into the conversation

"What if it was my room that the poultice was found in," she spoke, turning to face me, giving me a clear view of her pained face. "Would you have accused me?"

"I take no pleasure in this," Uther stated, causing Elizabeth to turn and face him again.

"But you're sentencing the wrong person," She whimpered. I nod in understanding.

"She's right, father. You hear the word magic and you no longer listen," I butted in, causing both Ellie and my father to face me. A look of surprise written across their faces.

"You saw it for yourself, she used enchantments," Father stated.

"Yes, maybe. But to save her dying father. That doesn't make her responsible for creating the plague," I explained. "One's the act of kindness, of love; the other of evil. I don't believe evil is in this girl's heart."

"I have witnessed what witchcraft can do," Father spoke. "I have suffered at its hand. I can not take that chance. If there is the slightest doubt about this girl, she must die or the whole kingdom may perish."

"I understand that," I stated sternly. My father made eye contact with me, his eyes, cold.

"One day you may become king. Then you will understand such decisions must be made. There are dark forces that threaten this kingdom," He explained seriously, his eyes never leaving mine.

"I know witchcraft is evil, father. So is injustice," I stated. "Yes, I am yet to be king and I don't know what type of king I will be. But I do have a sense of the kind of Camelot I wish to live in. I would be where the punishment fits the crime."

"I fear you are right," Father spoke, his eyes widening in realization. "She's played with fire and sadly she must die by fire."

With that, my father left the throne room, leaving me and Ellie to stand there, frozen in our places.

"Ellie," I spoke softly, causing the dark brown-haired girl to turn and face me, fresh tears forming in her eyes. "I promise you, I won't let Gwen die for something she didn't do."

"Neither will I," she spoke, her voice trembling. She then made her way out of the room in a hurry.

                                                                          * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ *

          I stood in the meeting room behind my father's chair, listening to the debate that took place between him and the council.

"What if burning this witch doesn't stop the poison," My father asked. "How do I protect my people?"

"My men have closed down the water pumps," I stated. Just moment's before I had received word from my servant that the source of the virus was coming from the consumption of water.

"But the emergency supply won't last much longer," Gaius added from the other side of the room. "We have to find a way of cleansing the water of the disease."

"But how," Father asked the physician.

"Well..," Before the physician could explain his idea, Merlin barged in through the large doors, surprising everyone that was in the room.

"Gwen is not the sorcerer, I am," Merlin exclaimed. Gaius rose from his chair in shock.

"Merlin, are you mad," He asked.

"I cannot let her die for me," Merlin exclaimed, he turned to face my father. "I place myself at your mercy."

"He doesn't know what he is talking about," Gaius stated, trying to save the idiot servant.

"I do," Merlin contradicted.

"Then arrest him," My father ordered. The guards that stood on either side of the door approached the servant.

"Father, please I can't allow this. This is madness," I spoke up. "There is no way Merlin is a Sorcerer."

"Did you not hear him," My father asked.

"Yes," I stated.

"He's admitted it," Father spoke sternly.

"He saved my life, remember," I added, trying to defend my servant.

"Why should he fabricate such a story," My father asked.

"As Gaius said..," I began, trying to make something up on the spot. "He's got a grave... mental... disease."

"Really," My father asked. I nodded before continuing.

"He's in love," I added.

"What," Merlin questioned, a confused look appearing on his face.

"With Gwen," I continued.

"I am not," Merlin contradicted.

"Yes, you are," I mumbled back.

"No way," He fired back.

"I saw you yesterday with that flower she'd given you," I retorted, growing impatient with the boy.

"I'm not in love with her," Merlin exclaimed.

"It's all right," I stated, flinging my arm over the servant's shoulder in hopes that he'd go along with the plan. I wanted to save at least one person from my father. "You can admit it."

"I don't even think of her like that," Merlin shouted.

"Perhaps she cast a spell on you," My father suggested, causing the court to laugh. I chuckle.

"Merlin is a wonder. But the wonder is that he's such an idiot," I state. "There's no way he's a sorcerer."

"Don't waste my time again," Father stated. "Let him go."

With that, Merlin was released, walking out of the meeting room with haste. I follow him in hopes to find out what his plan was. For if he thought that he would get away with lying to save Gwen he most definitely is an idiot. But when I exited after him I was surprised to find the hall empty. No sign of the servant anywhere.