The Gates of Avalon 6: The Sidhe

Merlin's POV:

            I entered the physician's quarters with a smile on my face. I had a reason to be cheerful, seeing as my sister had returned home. She was back to her happy self again, no longer the shell of herself staring at the fireplace. My smile soon fell when I noticed the serious face Gaius wore. 

"What is wrong," I asked, hoping that it was nothing serious.

"I fear that Sophia may not be all that she seems," he answered softly.

"Why," I asked.

"What do you know about seers," he asked, rising from his seat at his desk.

"Not much," I replied with a shrug. "They are supposed to see the future like prophets."

"It's said to be an innate ability. Those who have it are born that way," he explained, walking around the table. "Some aren't even aware that what they see is the future. It comes to them in their dreams."

"What's this got to do with Sophia," I asked, growing a little worried.

"The night before she and Aulfric came to Camelot, Morgana had a dream," he answered. "Sophia was in it."

"Before she arrived in Camelot," I asked in surprise.

Gaius nodded. "I've been watching Morgana since she was very young. And though I tried to persuade myself otherwise I realized that some of the things she'd said dreamt came to pass. I kept it secret from Uther, of course. The gift of prophecy is too close to the work of magic."

"You think Morgana is a seer," I asked in disbelief.

"I don't think it. I fear it," Gaius stated. "Morgana said she dreamt that Sophia killed Arthur."

"Couldn't that have been just a dream," I asked. "Maybe the woman Morgana saw just looked like Sophia."

Gaius sighed. "That's what I hoped. But Aulfric caught me in Sophia's room. And in a flash of anger, his eyes changed color."

"Who are they," I whispered.

"It is not who they are that worries me," he stated. "It's what they want with Arthur."

^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^

            I stood with my back pressed against the stone wall. Around the corner was Sophia's bedroom door.  I listened intently as footsteps approached, followed by a knock. I ever so slightly poked my head around the corner, my eyes landing on Aulfric standing outside Sophia's door. The door opened, revealing Sophia. She looked proud, a mischievous grin on her face.

"He's ready," she spoke, earning a smile from her father. "Tomorrow he'll do what we need him to."

"Good, you have done well," Aulfric stated proudly. "I must go to the elders."

            With that, Sophia closed her door and Aulfric walk down the hall. I knew that they were talking about Arthur, but I didn't understand why. What did she mean when she said "he's ready". What is it that they need him to do. I followed Aulfric, making sure to keep a far enough distance between us as we made our way through the castle halls, out of the kingdom gates, and ventured into the forest. He stopped his nighttime walk when he reached the lake, walking to the edge. The wind howled wildly, making ripples in the dark water. I stood behind a tree, hiding myself in the darkness of the forest as I watched.