A Remedy to Cure All Ills 6: Blackmail

Gaius's POV:

             I spent the night reading through Camelot's records. There was something about Edwin that didn't sit well with me. He seemed so familiar, and yet, I am unable to determine how I know him. After flipping through the pages of the large record book, I finally came to what I was looking for. I hadn't realized how much time had passed until I was met with a yawning Merlin, still rubbing the sleep from his eyes. That's when I looked out the window, seeing the sun had begun to rise. A rooster's crow could be heard, signaling that a new day had begun.

"Have you been up all night," Merlin asked curiously.

"Yes, but it was worth it," I replied, yawning momentarily. Merlin nodded, grabbing his tan cotton coat that was hanging on the back of a chair and throwing it on. "Where are you going?"

"I told Edwin I'd be up at dawn to collect some supplies," Merlin explained briefly.

"Well, you'd better get a move on then," I stated, Merlin nodded in reply before heading out the door.

^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^

            Once Merlin had left I followed soon after. I made my way through the halls of the kingdom, stopping when I reached Edwin's room. I did not ever knock, I just welcomed myself in, finding Edwin standing in the middle of the room.

"Edwin," I said, closing the chamber door behind me. "Your scar has healed well."

            Edwin looked at me, a look of confusion written across his face. That confusion was soon replaced with realization. He slowly set the book he had in his hands down on the desk in front of him, his eyes never leaving mine.

"I often wondered what happened to that poor young boy," I stated, Edwin only smiled.

"I told you we've never met before," he stated, shaking off my last statement. 

"I didn't realize who you were until I checked the records," I stated, walking forward till I came face to face with the scarred face I finally remembered. "You used your mother's maiden name. You are Gregor and Jaden's, son."

"They were friends of yours," Edwin spoke, his eyes showing no emotion.

"They were sorcerers," I stated sternly.

"They practiced magic," Edwin corrected. "And so did a lot of people back then, Gaius."

"Uther will be furious when he finds out who you are," I stated. "And Arthur will gladly execute you himself. Seeing as he is so protective of Miss Elizabeth. Who knows what you did to her."

"Fine," Edwin breathed. "Fine, should we tell them? Let's tell them. Let's tell him everything."

            Edwin strode to the door hastily, his hands reaching the handle. Yet, before he opened it, he paused and turned to look at me.

"Oh," He let out, turning back to face me. "We could also tell him about Merlin."

"Merlin," I asked, pretending as though I did not know what he was implying, though I fully well did.

"You didn't know he was a sorcerer," Edwin asked with a mischievous grin. "I wonder what Uther would do? Probably have him burned."

"You would betray another sorcerer," I asked, a bit taken aback.

"You did," he spat, his eyes full of anger. "When you turned a blind eye and let my parents die at the hands of Uther! At least Merlin doesn't have a son who will try and rescue him from the flames!"