7: Lies & Tension

I'm in full meltdown mode

After Bones and I had witnessed Georgie painting his dad, he wouldn't answer any of my questions and left... literally left, bolting for his motorcycle, swinging his massive body on it, and speeding off. And now, I'm in, apparently his bedroom, pacing around and having a maniac breakdown about kissing him.

When I freak out I'm a pacer.

Always have been.

Always will be.

I'm at my two hundred and seventy-eighth pacing mark when my phone rings out, startling me. I swipe it off the bed and see Nick's idiotic face light up my screen.

It's one of him squishing his face in, giving him a crazy amount of double chins and topping it off with crossing his eyes. I have no idea how he won over Rach.

I seriously don't.

God bless her.

I swipe my thumb over and bring it to my ear, preparing myself for what's to come by lifting my shoulder in an act of defense. "What's up, bro?"

"Ellie, what's going on? Why couldn't I reach you? We've all been tryin' you. I ended up callin' mom." I cringe at how loud his voice booms over the phone.

I sit down on the bed my forehead meeting the palm of my hand. "Yeah, she called. Thanks for that. She was sobbin' thinkin' I had died."

"Look, I'm sorry but you always answer your phone and you had me worried."

"I'm fine, Nick." I lie. "I had a migraine last night and you know what happens when I get one."

He's quiet then in an unlike Nick fashion, lowers his voice speaking softly. "Are you okay, Els? You have your prescription, right?"

"I ran out last night." Lie again.

My throat closes up and something thick, like a massive cotton ball of guilt is lodged in there, absorbing my lies and getting larger by the second, trying to suffocate me.

I never lie to my brother.

Ever.

I may call him an idiot and get annoyed with him, insult him, cut down his mannerisms but he's my best friend and always will be.

"Some vacation, huh?" he responds. "Maybe you should come home early?"

I press my palm so hard into my head I know it leaves a big red imprint, rocking it back and forth to hopefully relieve some of the tension. "I'm actually thinkin' of stayin' another week, maybe two."