10: Run This Red Light Down

Trigger warning, this chapter will contain violence.

My right foot dangles above the concrete step and I shake it a little as if it would give me the courage I needed. My left leg starts tingling, begging for me to stop being a wimp and give it some much-needed relief by taking that giant leap. Instead, I swing my other leg back and forth right above the boundary line that is the front door's threshold. The sole of my shoe scratches across the metal ridges, the vibrations tickling my arch as my leg acts as a guillotine.

Stationing my hands on both sides of the doorframe exterior, I lean out a little, testing the waters. My eyes peer around the empty sunny street, looking for any suspicious movement.

There's nothing but bright discolored leaves being tossed in the wind until they kiss the road, waiting to either be crushed by pedestrian feet or pressed into the street by a tire. My nostrils expand along with my chest, breathing in crisp fall air that tickles the inside of my chest and begs me to go for a tiny walk.

I need it.

Badly.

Taking a stroll in Autumn weather is so majestic and healing, and I want nothing more than to go on one. The leaves burn and glisten in the trees from the sun's rays, some snapping off to play with the wind. Even the slight chill is welcoming because it brings that comforting sound of the leaves wrestling with it, trying to remain on the sturdy branches of their home.

There's a small breeze, making me shiver. I'm once again layered in Bones' clothing. His scent becoming my own and I wouldn't be surprised if it's seeping into my skin at this point.

And I'm not complaining.

That peppery cherry scent is delicious and comforting.

It's been three days of house arrest... well not really, but I'm a person that has to constantly be busy so this has been torture. Bones has been gone in the morning and afternoon for work, only to come home at night tight-lipped with takeout and a sour mood.

Ever since I told him and Adonis a little bit about Addie, Bones has been distant, as if he has to reprocess the whole idea of having an estranged sister. Adonis is in the same boat. It's as if both the brothers are dealing with a heavy loss but nobody is really saying anything. The only conclusion I can come up with is that it's about the sister they lost.

So with both the brothers being gloomy, Georgie has been my only solace. But she had to go to her art gallery today and then stop at the mechanic shop Adonis and Bones work at.

So it's just me and whatever club member is keeping a distant, inconspicuous eye on the house.

I already miss Georgie. I absolutely adore her and her random outbursts, spunky attitude, and odd quirks. And how she comforts Adonis is so heartwarming, unafraid of climbing on top of his lap and holding him with her tiny arms that seem to be able to carry so much of the weight he's burdened with. When he looks up at her, his mismatched eyes give everything away. Heavy, unapologetically deep with anguished warmth seeping out as he looks at her, his love so evident that the heaviness of it crushes my chest.