6. Bacterial Reservoirs

Noor

Rounds with Dr Halstead, our attending that week, started at 9 am. Scott and I had divided the patients on our list and I had tried to read up on those that I was going to take care of. Their diagnoses ranged from pneumonia and epilepsy to genetic disorders. Despite Sal's goading earlier on, I felt I had enough knowledge about these diseases to not kill someone, at least.

Though that's really not the bar you want to set for yourself!

We gathered outside Abby's room, the baby with a UTI. I presented the history of her illness and the physical exam I had done earlier. Since she had not responded well to antibiotics by mouth we had planned to treat her with IV antibiotics while waiting for test results to come back. Dr Halstead nodded in agreement.

Before heading in to Abby's room, he remarked, "Let's do some teaching!"

"Up to 10% of children with a UTI can have recurrent disease because many UTI causing bacteria have the ability to hide within reservoirs in the body," looking at Scott and I, he asked, "do either of you know where those reservoirs are?"

Wait...what??

Stunned at that question, I looked over to Sal. His full lips curved upwards slightly in a half-smile but he continued staring down at his pager, avoiding any eye contact with me.

Scott nudged my arm, encouraging me to speak up.

"These bacteria can live in the gut for a while, and depending on the type of bacteria they can also invade the bladder wall and remain protected from antibiotics"

"Impressive! No one ever gets this question right!", Dr Halstead exclaimed. "Where did you go to school again?"

"Umm...I actually graduated from Pakistan"

"Huh, must have been a good school...or you're just really smart!"

I couldn't help but grin at Dr Halstead, even though it didn't feel like his praise was well deserved.

I looked over at Sal again. He was now talking on the phone with someone. Probably getting signout on a new patient.

Rounds finished and we headed down to the resident education conference at noon. Sal's pager had been buzzing non-stop. From what I could tell, overhearing his conversations on the phone, the ER was filling up quickly with patients needing to be admitted. Once the patients currently admitted but ready for discharge left the hospital their rooms would be quickly cleaned and disinfected for the next set of patients. I could tell we would have a very busy afternoon.

I hadn't had a chance to thank Sal for preemptively grilling me on our UTI patient.

Maybe he does care about me...

Nah!! I'm sure his narcissistic self just wanted to show Dr Halstead that he teaches his interns well.

I took a slice of veggie pizza from the lunch table at the entrance of the conference room and dropped down in a chair at the far corner. Finally, off my feet for the first time today.

Sal walked in and our eyes met briefly. He glanced at the empty chairs next to me, then at the blonde woman in a cute blue dress sitting in the front row. She waved at him, and he started walking towards her.

Ugh... why are all the residents here so damn good looking. I'm like the ugly duckling freak here.

The speaker started talking about congential heart defects and my mind drifted off. I had actually had an amazing time this morning, despite Sal.