Bonus Chapter: 10 year Anniversary

A decade is a long time if you think about it. Enough to get a few grey hairs and a smattering of wrinkles. Need reading glasses to read the fine print, or just learn to ignore the fine print altogether because you'd rather die than admit you're getting old. Exchange diaper bags for bookbags and school laptops.

A decade is enough time to go from being the senior resident that fell in love with an intern to the husband whose love knew no bounds, and a wife that got to experience his love in ways she had never even considered.

That is how Salman and Noor had spent the last ten years. Their life was a kaleidoscope of undying loyalty, passionate love, commitment and trust, some arguments, a little bit of naraazgi, but a whole lot of teamwork.

Their two children Ayah and Ayaan were 9 and 6 years, respectively. Old enough now that they could be left with their Nano who was visiting the US so that mom and dad could go on a much needed 10 year anniversary getaway for a few days.

"You really don't need to pack much, you know. I don't intend on letting you keep your clothes on when we reach Chicago", Salman whispered, nibbling gently at the shell of his wife's ear, as his palm dipped under her silk shirt.

He spun her around so her body was flush against his and she let out a muted squeal, afraid her mother and kids would hear their shenanigans.

"Salman let go of me, we're getting late for the airport", she playfully pushed back. But when her husband pouted and made his puppy dog eyes at her, she couldn't help but wrap her arms around him and kiss those delicious lips.

"Let me finish now", Noor pulled back.

"Fine", her husband huffed and threw three shirts, two shorts, 1 dress pant and 1 one formal shirt into their suitcase.

"I am done packing", he declared.

Noor rolled her eyes at her minimalist husband and went back to meticulously folding her outfits, planned for each of the the three days they would be in Chicago along with the right accessories and shoes.

Several hugs and kisses later, Ayah and Ayaan unwrapped their arms from around their parents and went to stand next to their Nano as they dropped them off at Boston Logan International Airport.

"Bye Mama. Bye Baba", Ayaan yelled out.

Please don't come home with another baby, sassy Ayah added under her breath.

The flight to Chicago was uneventful. Noor worked on the presentation that she was going to give to the residents at Children's Hospital of Chicago, the same hospital that she and Salman had done their residency at. She was focusing on the 'work' part of their work/pleasure trip to the city that held so many of their memories.

Salman on the other hand discreetly checked the last minute details of what he had planned for his wife. He had never been a man of many words. Expressing his emotions to her was even harder. He was lucky that barring a few incidents Noor had always understood his love language.

On their tenth-anniversary though, he was determined to show her the depth of his affection because words would never be enough to describe what he felt.

He checked his email again. Everyone was on board.

Day 1

He woke up first like he often did. For him it was the best part of the day. Lying next to his wife, enjoying her warmth and softness as he gazed lovingly at her sleeping form. He had memorized every inch of her. The way her eyelashes grazed the top of her cheeks when she slept. The curve of her lips. The natural glow of her complexion. Her blemishes and scars. All of it, etched in his memory forever.