19. The Cross Over

Noor

"Are you going to answer him?", Kimberly whispered in my ear as she looked over my shoulder at my phone's screen.

"Not in the middle of conference!", I replied, signaling her to keep quiet.

It had been 2 days since my mom had dropped the bombshell revelation of Omar's previous proposal. To say that I was freaked out was an understatement of the century. I hadn't replied to his message asking to meet up this weekend. Since then he had sent a handful of more messages, asking if there was something wrong. I finally texted back saying that I was busy at work. 

I looked at the message on my phone again.

'Noor, I just spoke to my mother. I know why you are avoiding me. Can we please talk?'

Ten minutes later my phone buzzed again.

'I am so sorry! I should have have talked to you myself. I am driving to Chicago after work. Please...let's talk'

He is coming here? I'm not ready for this...If only I was on call today!

Ironically, I had been on back-to-back overnight calls recently, however, today was one of those days that I got to go home early.

"Hey Kimberly. Can I cover your shift in the ER tonight?", I whispered to her.

She mouthed NO and frowned at me.

As soon as conference finished, though, she grabbed my arm and led me to a quiet nook in the hallway.

"Ok, lady...spill now! What is going on with you? And why does your phone keep lighting up with Omar's messages?"

"Nothing is happening...", I tried to escape but she looked like she would tackle me to the ground if I did.

I knew she wouldn't let it go so I told her a brief version of what my mom had told me. Her eyes widened at the mention of Omar's proposal.

"Wait a second...you are telling me that hunk of a man wanted to marry you without even dating you first?"

For an American that would have been unthinkable, but many marriages in other parts of the world were arranged by the man and woman's family. Often the man and woman had only met a few times, and sometimes they hadn't met at all. Arguably, that was a problem if you believed that being in love was a prerequisite to marriage. But where I came from, marriage wasn't just between a man and woman, but also served to build deep connections between families. Besides I was always taught, if you married a decent man, love and respect followed naturally. 

"Yes...I mean that's how it's done in Pakistan. His parents asked my parents if I was interested in marrying him".

"Damn girl! You just went from having zero men in your life to practically being married in the blink of an eye. So what's the problem? Do you not like Omar?", Kimberly looked very amused at my predicament. "I mean if a hot guy like him asked me to marry him..."

"Ok. First of all stop calling him hot", I told her", "He is photogenic, yes. Hot...I don't think so. And I don't know him very well..."

"You grew up with him", Kimberly stated matter-of-factly.

"Still...", I was trying to come up with more excuses.

Kimberly interrupted me again, "Look Noor, my own love life may suck, but I do know that you can't go wrong if friendship is the foundation of a lifelong commitment. Sounds to me like you and Omar already have a strong foundation...so think about it at least?"

She shrugged and I couldn't help but accept her words. I had known Omar for decades now. I trusted him, he respected me, I respected him. We had laughed together as much as we had studied together. I may never have thought of him romantically, but he had played an undeniably important role in my life and career, so far.