29. We Make Sense

Salman

I had not been planning on giving a speech after I got the award, but when our Program Director handed me the mic, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to thank Noor, in front of everyone...short of confessing my feelings for her in front of a room full of people, this would be the best way to keep all the 'Marks' away from her!

In retrospect maybe that wasn't such a smart move. Noor's face had turned bright red by the time I stepped off the stage. But I didn't regret it, at least she knew I was talking about her.

After the ceremony, dinner was served. I still hadn't been able to actually talk to Noor since she hadn't left Kimberly's side. If I didn't know any better I would think that she was trying to avoid me.

Finally, the lights dimmed as the music became louder. Kimberly and Scott got up and left the table and Noor was alone. I grabbed my drink and headed straight to her. I knew she would leave soon now that dinner was over. After dinner drinking and dancing was not her forte.

"Hey!"

She looked up from her phone, surprised to see me.

Gosh...she is even more beautiful in the dim light.

My mouth was suddenly dry as my heart raced. Grateful for the drink in my hand, I took a sip to calm myself. Her eyes narrowed as she looked at my glass. First, I wasn't sure why me holding a drink would bother her, but then it struck me, she thought I was drinking alcohol again.

"Relax...it's just Ginger Ale!", I told her with a chuckle.

Her cheeks flushed, and an embarrassed smile flitted across her face when she spoke again, "Oh hey, congrats on your award. And sorry I didn't mean to pry about your drink. You can obviously drink whatever you want to"

Her soft voice was made more enticing by the way she had to lean in to me so I could hear her over the music. For once though, I could proudly tell her that the assumption she had about me was false.

"I haven't had any alcohol since the last time you saw me outside the ER", I told her, acting nonchalant, though inside I couldn't wait to hear her words of approval.

She gazed at me for a few seconds, looking surprised at my confession, before she nodded and looked down at her phone again. She kept quiet, and the words I craved, never came. But I decided to move on, to do what I had really come to do.

If she knows I'm not the same man anymore, maybe her words would flow more freely.

Maybe she would be willing to be mine.

"Noor, I really need to talk to you...", I pulled out a chair to sit, but instead she started to get up.

"Can we talk on the phone? I just ordered an Uber, it's getting late and I'm exhausted. So I was going to head home. I can call when I reach home"

"You're going home in an Uber looking like that?", I waved my hand in front of her.

"What's wrong with the way I look?", I could sense her annoyance building.

As amazing as this woman was, she did not like being told what to do. Period.

So I had to tread lightly, "There is nothing wrong with the way you look...in fact you...uh...look stunning. But it is really late at night. And I would prefer it if you did not travel alone in a car with a stranger"

Surely, that wasn't a hard concept to grasp? It wasn't safe for a single woman to be alone at this time of the night.

Then I had a better idea, "How about I just drop you off? Then we can talk too"