Chapter Thirteen

A week and three days later, the house is undergoing a massive reconstruction. All the China plates are out, roses are dunked in vases; the living room is being repainted, tables are being polished and visitors flee in and out to give their blessings and advice.

'You must understand Jer-mila, men are strange that way, you know. They need attention, you know, love. You need to be careful, you know. Don't get carried away with all that work, husbands' come first, you know,' exclaims Mrs. Rebecca. Yes, I know, Jamila is slightly irritated that people think she's naïve. Am I that inexperienced? 'Anyway, I must get going dear, lots of work you know; I'll see you at the wedding.'

'Thank you for coming Mrs. Rebecca,' Jamila tries to smile.

'It was no problem dear, tell mummy I left, bye now.' The plump woman leaves with a wave of her hand. Jamila removes her Shaila for the umpteenth time and walks over to Zaid, who's in the kitchen writing down a draft for his upcoming novel.

'Kill me now, please. I'll pay you.' Jamila smacks her head against the dining table. Zaid grins at his sister's open display of annoyance. I both pity you and love this right now. 'No, I'm serious.' Jamila mourns again.

'There, there,' Zaid pats her head mockingly.

'Zaid,' a deadly stare is thrown at him.

'What? You're the one going through an emotional breakdown,' Zaid pushes his spectacles further along his long nose and blinks innocently.

'And you're not making it any better!'

'I'm your brother, I'm not supposed to.'

'I hate you,'

'What do you want me to do? This is how it is, you meet people with different ideas on marriage and they want to share it with you. What's so wrong in that?' He sets his pen down and looks at his sister.

'I want people to trust that I'm doing the right thing. It's annoying when I'm treated like a kid,'

'You are a kid.'

'Not in this context Zaid,' Jamila grits her teeth. You don't understand!!!

'Maybe they're just concerned about the fact that you're still young,'

'I'm 21!' Hands are flailing now, get yourself under control Jam.

'What's your point?' Zaid removes his glasses and frowns at her behavior, is someone nervous? Hmm, this isn't like you J

'My point,' Jamila sighs 'is that I'm a big girl making decisions for myself. I don't want people to doubt me. I know what I'm doing.' Zaid doesn't say a word.

'You're anxious. You're afraid but you won't admit it.' Jamila sighs and winces at the sound of what he says.

'That's probably it,' she sips her water thoughtfully. 'You should've taken up psychology.'

'A simple observation doesn't require extensive studying on the topic. But thank you.' He begins writing again.

'I am doing the right thing. Right?' Jamila stares at her brother hoping for more vexing wisdom.

'What do you mean?' He continues writing.

'Harun is a good choice right? As in, he's religious and caring so I've chosen someone who definitely has his principles and values intact; so I'm not making a huge mistake. Right?' I'm rambling! Stop Jam.

'Are you looking for reassurance on my part?' Zaid's mind involuntarily races through what he saw almost two weeks ago. That nurse practically claiming that she wants him. Harun, couldn't you avoid her enough? I can't blame him completely; I mean they work together. Ugh, the guilt.