11. Divine Planning

Saturday, 8:00pm

If the expression of being shocked, shy and incredibly awkward had a face or a name, it would have both my face and name. I don't doubt that for a second. Jamila thinks while trying her best to appear composed. After the warm greetings with Aliyah's future in-laws was over, Jamila had the privilege of being re-introduced to Dr. Harun himself. Her mind is reeling from the memory; Samir grandly repeated the words Doctor until Jamila's mother cut in and explained that they had met before. 

Jamila was able to keep a straight face until she saw that the entire interaction visibly affected Harun's demeanor. Then and only then she cracked a smile because for once, she felt that she wasn't alone in dealing with situations like this. Samir's family eventually ushered everyone to the dining area outside. Jamila became distracted by the spread; the pots of aromatic biriyani, platters of naan bread, kebabs with lime and bowls of chicken curry were bedazzling. To the side stood the glass jugs containing fresh juices and a basket of cut up fruit. The cutlery was arranged neatly and fairy lights decorated the scene even further. 

The men sat to one side and the women sat on the other. A small partition was made to uphold the practice of sitting in segregation. Jamila observes Reem sprinting to the kitchen to bring a curd dressing. She notes that her mother and aunt are engaging Samir's mother in an interesting conversation. It must be interesting because they keep covering up laughs in a very obvious way, she thinks. Aliyah picks up a spoon and thwarts her arm with it. 

"What are you doing?" Jamila asks while glancing at the cutlery.  

"I really have no idea." Aliyah stares at the spoon. "Tell me this evening feels as weird for you as it does for me." Jamila suppresses a smile. 

"Why is it weird for you?"

"Jami, how is the Doctor guy here again? I mean didn't you see him at the hospital the other day? And now we find out that he's Samirs best friend? I repeat, best friend?!" She whispers harshly while leaning into Jamila. "And if that isn't enough, now we're having dinner together, getting to know each other even more before my Nikah  - as if I don't know Samir enough already - this meet up feels like it was meant for you because lo and behold we see the lone doctor here yet again." Reem is making her way back to the table and Aliyah flashes her a smile. "If this isn't divine planning, I don't know what is." She adds under her breath. 

"SubhanAllah, you seriously talk too much sometimes. No wonder you and Samir get along so well." (Glory be to Allah). The moment she heard him speak, she knew that Aliyah and him were simply made to be. 

"What is that supposed to mean? No wait, I know what you're doing." Aliyah raises an eyebrow. "Don't even think of changing the subject." 

"What do you want me to say?" Jamila shoots back. "I'm as surprised as you Al." I am beyond surprised to be completely honest but now is not the time to get into it with her. We're at someone else's house, we need to be civil. "Let's just eat and focus on why we came here." 

"Focus my foot." Aliyah mutters and rolls her eyes.

"Girls please serve, Bismillah." Reem says while pointing at the hot rice. Jamila smiles at her and picks up the wooden spoon. She serves a decent amount of everything and waits for her cousin to do the same. Once she sees that the elders have served and taken their first bite, then she starts eating. Oh wow, Ma Sha Allah. This is incredible.

"This is so good." Aliyah says aloud. 

"Yes it really is. Ma Sha Allah." Jamila adds. 

"Alhamdulillah!" Nasreen grins. "Please try the curd dressing." Nasreen takes the bowl and plops some onto her plate and Jamila's. "It's cooling." The girls thank her and continue eating. Jamila continues to appreciate the flavor and spice while listening to the chatter circling around the table, so much so that she can hear the men's voices covering sports and politics. Apparently LeBron has switched teams yet again and is being paid a thumping amount for it. Samir isn't too happy about this because he lists out reasons as to why it's a bad move. His voice is the loudest, ya Allah. Everyone else is used to it I guess. If she strains her hearing, she can just make-out the sound of Harun but she tries not to.