4. Just Feel

Monday, 6:30pm

Harun dunks into the water and swims stealthily from one corner of the pool to the other. His muscles tighten as he pushes himself to hold his breath a little longer. He was supposed to hit the gym but settled for swimming instead. He prefers to float around the cool water and not think. Yes, the goal during swim sessions is to avoid thinking at all costs. Don't think, just feel, he mentally chants.

He leans at the edge of the pool and stares at the magnificent view in front of him. The palm trees coat the corners of the city and the buildings poke out from beneath the vast land. The sun set a little while ago, enveloping the city in a pinkish orange hue. It's breathtaking. Harun forget's all about his workload and responsibilities for the time being.

Don't think, just feel.

From the corner of his eye, he notices his mother taking a seat on one of the wooden chairs. "How long have you been here?" She asks.

"An hour, I think." He swims in her direction while keeping his head above water.

"Dinner is ready."

"What are we having?"

"Lasagna, your favorite."

"You mean Rashid's favorite." His mother gasps as he throws water at her.

"Harun! I just changed." He chuckles and does it again. "Harun!"

"What mom? Are you going to ground me?" She glares at him and mutters something in Arabic.

"What am I going to do with you?"

"You're going to feed me because you're the best mother in the entire world." She rolls her eyes. He gets out of the water and sits on the other wooden chair.

"Uncle Badr called today." Badr is his paternal uncle who lives in Toronto. He's divorced and childless. Harun tenses at the mention of him. Six months after his father died, Badr hinted at the idea of marrying his mother. Of course she politely declined his offer but Harun wasn't- as expected- so polite. In fact he nearly threatened to beat him up if he ever brought up the topic again.

"What did he want?"

"He spoke about you actually."

"Me?" He towels his head. "Why?"

"He said that there's a girl who might be a suitable partner for you-"

"Not this again." Harun stands abruptly. "Mom-"

"Harun please just listen."

"No! I already know what you're going to say. Meet her, get to know her and then maybe you'll change your mind." He says the last few words in a monotone voice.

"She's a sweet girl, Badr even said she's from Ramallah."

"Mom, I don't need to marry someone from back home."

"Of course not but I'm just saying this so you'll consider it." Harun lets out a harsh breath. It's always this subject that drives me up the wall. "I'm doing this because I care about you."