Chapter Fourteen

There's a knock at the door, at first they both ignore it but then the person begins to knock louder. Jamila pushes Harun back a little, as much as I don't want to, we need to go. Harun pulls away and sighs in frustration.

'Seriously?' He mutters; Jamila chuckles at his behavior and leans into his chest with a smile. His expression changes almost immediately, you don't know what you do to me, Walla.

'Let's go.' Jamila steps back and grabs the white shaila that is draped across her rack.

'Let's not, please.' He watches her every move, so graceful and careful. She chuckles at him again.

'Come on, it's only for a few hours.' Harun raises his hand and she holds onto it, a shy smile on her lips. 'We're coming.' She calls out to the person behind the door. The knocking ceases at once. They walk downstairs together and the moment the women see Harun and Jamila hand in hand, they begin to whistle and wink at them. Some even shout Takbeer. Jamila sticks to Harun, one because I don't want to let you go for even a minute and two because if I don't then I'll feel so awkward.

The couple interacts with all the aunts, great aunts, grandmothers and friends. Harun introduces Jamila to his family, his grandparents and they're relatives. She smiles at them all and kisses their cheek happily. She asks about their health and children. Half of Harun's family lives in Dubai, Canada and Morocco, which is interesting because she's always wanted to go to Dubai. Maybe I can go there for an internship or something, don't know how Mr. Man will feel about that but we'll have to see. Harun admires Jamila as she walks around shaking hands with different women, am I lucky or what? Why me? Honestly. Someone taps his shoulder and he whirls around to find his sister staring at him with an eyebrow raised.

'Did you eat?' Ramla questions.

'No?'

'Right then it's time for you to go outside, eat and hang with your friends'.' Ramla begins shoving Harun outside.

'Wait! What? I'm not hungry.' He protests and looks for Jamila who appears to be in the other side of the room.

'Well, too bad. It's girl time now.'

'Ramla, come on I just got her.' Harun whines as Ramla opens the front door. She fixes her shaila and purses her lips at him.

'You can have her the whole night, just eat and come back.' Yeah blunt much sister dear?

'Fine.' Harun grits his teeth and walks outside. Although Harun is irritated with everyone who keeps giving excuses to split him and Jamila, when he sees Samir, Adnan and Thalal amongst the crowd of men, he feels a sense of relief. Maybe I missed them? Not that I'd tell them that. Duh.

'Arey Harun Bhai, we finally meet again.' Adnan gives Harun a half hug.

'I didn't see you at the Masjid.' Harun chuckles at his friend's accent. Never gets old.

'Aha you missed me na? Arey you're married now, what will Jamila say?' Adnan fans himself dramatically. Everyone laughs at Adnan, Harun is at ease now. Even though his mind is wandering to where and what his wife is doing, he feels happy.

'We were sitting at the back 'cos we got late to come.' Samir answers while the boys serve their food from the buffet table.

'Why'd you get late?'

'Cos he was shopping.' Adnan pipes. They find an empty table and sit down to enjoy their meal.

'Adnan, you know I couldn't say no.'

'You could've waited till tomorrow.'

'She would have been mad at me then.'

'So who cares? You can makkhan (butter) her later no?' Samir bites into his chicken with an eye roll.