Chapter Twenty

'Ah you cheat!'

'I didn't cheat, you always say that when I win!'

'That's because you always cheat!' Jamila throws her cards at her brother.

'Mamma see! You're daughter is majnoon.' (Crazy) Abdullah pinches his sister.

'Ah!' She slaps his arm. Jamila had taken the day off work and visited her family. Everyone was delighted to see her, especially her brothers. Abdullah had bullied her to no end, Aminah had nagged about grand children again and Ahmed spoilt her with sweets.

'Baba never buys this for us.' Abdullah had whispered to Zaid.

'Do you have any idea how old we are?'

'Does it matter?! We're still his children!'

'Grow up.'

'You're hopeless.'

'Get lost.' Abdullah huffed and punched Zaid in the arm. Jamila laughed at their behavior and sauntered around the house as if she was single and free of all responsibilities. She's currently in her room arranging a few items when her brother calls out to her from downstairs.

'Ya Jamila come here.'

'What is it?'

'Just come it's important.'

'Akhi I'm-'

'Will you just come?!' Jamila does a face palm and obeys. Zaid looks slightly anxious, what's he up to? He pulls her arm and sits her in the living room; their parents and nutty sibling are already seated there as well.

'What's going on?' She asks no one in particular.

'I wish I knew.' Ahmed grunts, Zaid rolls his eyes at his very impatient family. Once everyone's seated, Zaid positions himself in the centre of the living room, just behind the coffee table and formulates the words' he intends to say. Jamila watches her brother very closely, either he's about to say something important or he's going to ask for permission. Yeah either way I think mama and baba are going to flip.

'I'm going to say something but I need all of you to have an open mind.' Everyone nods silently. 'I'm in love.' Aminah gasps and looks at her husband who appears to be equally taken aback. Jamila is motionless, my brother is in love.

'With who?' Abdullah? My brother has some sense now? Wow.

'A girl at the publishing house.' Zaid has a smile on his face.

'She's a writer?'

'I don't know exactly.'

'You haven't talked to her?!' Abdullah has full control over this conversation.

'I was afraid to and it's wrong!'

'Not if you're interested in marrying her!'

'I wasn't thinking?' Zaid sighs. Jamila puts her head in her hands confused. My brother, my spectacular brother is in love with some woman. Who is she? How did this even happen? This is so much to take in. Honestly... Okay get it together. 'Ya ukhti, why are you so quiet? I thought you'd be happy.' He sounds sad. Jamila's eyes snap to his, now see what you've done!

'No no, it's just... Unexpected.'

'Na'am, my head hurts.'(Yes) Aminah leans against her husband for support.

'Ya Zaid, bring us details and we'll visit their family.' Baba is taking this well? Have we all reversed roles or something?!

'It's here Baba.' Zaid hands him a paper. 'It has her home number and her email address. Mamma if you could call her and speak to her then you and Jamila could visit her.'