9. Palestine Will Be Free

Friday, 2:30pm

"We'll be conducting an X-ray on Mr. Ahmad. Please see that the room is ready."

"Yes Sir."

"Are they inside?"

"They've just entered your office." Harun glances at Frank, the newest addition to the team of nurses. He prefers Frank over the others because of his professionalism and eagerness to help.

"Good. I'll be there in a minute." The young nurse heads inside while Harun lingers in the common area with a hand raking his already messy hair. The truth is he needed a break.

A break from the adrenaline rush.

It's not the checking of tonsillitis or blood pressure that made him edgy. No, it's the man outside and his family. Harun pulls his hair until the pain of it forces him to stop. I don't want to make a mistake, that's why. I want everything to be perfect. I want my service to be top notch in every way.

He told the staff to keep an eye out for the Ahmad family and to notify him when they arrived. Thankfully Frank is quick on his feet so Harun received timely updates in the form of neon yellow post-its. He wanted to take them in first but thought against it since last time he refused to charge them. He doesn't want to upset Mr. Ahmad or worse, disrespect him.

Okay I need to go in there and do my job, Harun convinces himself. He rubs a hand on his crisp white coat and quickly does a once over. His light blue shirt and black slacks are clean and presentable. He pats his beard and slips inside the office. To his left there's a sink which he uses to wash his hands and there's a curtain preventing any patients from seeing that section. He then moves the curtain slightly and is met with three curious faces. The ceiling lights glare down at them and he blinks a few times before making eye contact with Mr. Ahmad.

"Assalamu Alaykum Sir, how are you?" He greets. He sounds more confident than he feels. Harun shakes his hand with a smile and sits on the black leather swivel chair. He lifts the white coat slightly and splays his right forefinger on his upper lip while his thumb supports his chin.

"Alhamdulillah I'm well." Mr. Ahmad replies.

"Good to hear it."

"And how are you Doctor?" Aminah joins in. "I see many people outside."

"I'm alright, can't complain." He smiles kindly. "It's been a busy morning."

"La Rayb, it must be like this everyday!" (No doubt). Harun waves a hand modestly and focusses on the task at hand.

"I suggest we get right into the X-ray. Let's see what's going on with the joints and how we can better treat it In Sha Allah." Harun presses the buzzer and Frank peeks in almost immediately. "We're ready for the X-ray."

"Right this way Sir." Frank points outside.

"Tayyib." (Okay) He mutters gruffly.

"Can I go with him?" Aminah asks. Frank is about to speak when Harun beats him to it.

"Of course." People can't enter the room unless they're patients or authorised personnel. This is the protocol considering the room is designed for exposing one to radiation and Harun doesn't want Aminah let alone any other civilian harmed. Then again Frank can inform her of the details when they get there. "Jamila keep my bag." She orders and gives her a firm look.

Harun avoided looking directly at Jamila until now. He observes her helping her father to the door until Frank takes over. She wears a red shawl which frames her face well and a black loose Abaya with a single cream stripe at each wrist. She nods wordlessly and the door is shut, enveloping them in silence.