different friends

"A friend is what the heart needs all the time."

"I have to admit, I'm not excited to say hello at home", Kie mumbles as soon as we go back to the chateau, "My parents have probably planned my funeral already." "I expect issues at Heyward's house as well", Pope agrees, "The truck is still in Charleston." "Well, for me it's just really bad when I get home and my parents stand there with my bags", I shrug, "Although that's not even unrealistic."

"No one knows that we're here, right?", JJ asks forming his lips to a grin, "And you don't get more trouble just because you arrive twelve hours later. Is it right or am I right?" "You're at least not wrong", Pope nods. "So we've got twelve hours to do what we want. What do you say?" "The serious part of life can wait until tomorrow", John B agrees. "Maybe the police is looking for us. This could be a stupid idea", Sarah notes but JJ shakes his head heavily.

When JJ Maybank wants to party, he'll throw a party. "Sarah Cameron, you know my philosophy, right?" "No." "Stupidities pay off again and again", John B, Kie, Pope and I repeat JJ's favorite words together. "Let's go and get some beer", JJ suggests and I gulp. I planned to stop by Topper's and the Cameron's today as I didn't reply to Rafe's messages.

"Actually, I have to deal with something. I would come back in a few hours", I let them know but of course, they wouldn't let me go without questioning my intention. "Where are you going?", JJ wonders and I groan mentally. "Rafe messaged m-" "Rafe?", Kie scoffs, "John B and Sarah are back and the first person you go to is Rafe? Haven't you learned anything?" "That's got nothing to do with it, Kie. I've planned to visit him yesterday. I also have to stop by Topper's place."

"Oh, Topper, too. Great", JJ mutters, "So you're behaving like a kook again?" "I just have to visit another friend, why can't you just understand that for once?", I sigh. "A friend? Rafe?", John B repeats giving me a skeptical look, "So we're back and nothing's changed." "I've visited Wheezie the other day and met him. I thought if I talk to him I could find some evidence in his room and we kind of decided to be friends. I'm trying my best to make use of it", I explain to them but none of them looks like they understand it.

"Wait, you've just told me that you didn't see him. You lied to me", John B complains and I think about what I could say to make it better but I don't come up with an excuse. "Bells, he's the one who shot Peterkin.. in front of us", Sarah whispers and I gulp. If not even she understands me, the others will only be more upset. "That's not the only part of him and you know it. If he just.. stopped with the coke, he could be different from what you've seen", I defend him in front of them although I should know that it is useless.

Just a few days ago, I was feeling uncomfortable when I saw him but now.. did I want to defend him? Why? "Do what we can't stop you from. We'll go and buy beer for tonight. If you're not here, we know with whom you are", Kie mumbles rolling her eyes and I look at JJ. The others might only be angry with me, but JJ will begin to question our relationship again. This time, he looks at me blankly. I give him an apologizing look and turn around to leave.

"Hey, thanks for waiting", I greet Topper as I meet him at the country club and hug him. "Sure, I'm glad we meet more often now. I've missed us hanging out", he tells me softly and I nod. "You're right. Our friendship is way too good to neglect it." "By the way, Kelce told me that you and Rafe are friends again. What's that about?", Topper wonders as we sit down on a bench. "Yeah. Well.. I'm not so sure about it myself but I guess we are friends."

"You two have a really complicated definition of friendship", Topper states as I haven't answered his question exactly. "Well, I wanted to check up on Wheezie the other day because of Sarah. You and I are not the only ones who lost her. When I wanted to leave, Rafe noticed me and talked to me. Rose invited me for dinner and I agreed. Then Rafe and I had a conversation and decided to be friends.. kind of." "You two are incredibly special", he chuckles as he doesn't even know the whole story about us.

Sometimes, I'm not sure if I want to laugh about how we could have ruined such a good relationship and friendship or if I should cry because we could have been better together. "Can I ask you something?" "Anything, Top", I nod looking at the water in front of us. It's been a while since the last time that I've just sat at the beach watching the waves.

"What happened between the two of you? In the beginning, everything was good and we were also hanging out a lot together. We've been friends since you moved here in kindergarden. Rafe and you have been in love for the longest time as much as I know. Then you broke up with him so quickly. Why? Was it because of JJ?", Topper asks with a soft voice so I know that he doesn't blame JJ or me this time but that he is really interested in knowing the truth and that he cares about me.

He makes me feel like I could really tell him this time. "I've loved Rafe so much but he changed.. a lot. When he dropped out of college, Ward made sure to show him even more that Sarah is his favorite. I've talked to Rafe and tried to help him but it wasn't enough as he started doing coke. He became so aggressive", I tell Topper about the time when I Rafe started to change and my voice gets quieter as thinking back to that time actually makes me sad, "Rafe only wanted to party anymore and one night I insisted on staying home and he slapped me. He didn't use much power and he regretted it as soon as he's realised it. I went to the beach and JJ saw me there. He's helped me to draw a line under this relationship between Rafe and I and we got closer."

"I'm sorry, Bella", Topper whispers, "If I had known that, I wouldn't have-" "It's fine, Top. Rafe was high. I still hung out with you so I forgave him. That wasn't him. He's different. He just has to be himself again", I mumble sadly as Rafe could have been so much happier all this time. "Do you still love him?" "Do you still love Sarah?", I counter with another question and Topper immediately nods.

"First loves", I shrug, "Not as easy to forget." "So it wasn't John B?", Topper wonders and I look at him confused. How does he know? "Someone told us back then. That's why Rafe made a move on you so quickly. He would have given you time but he was afraid that John B would be quicker." "That's actually cute.. somehow", I giggle imagining the boys talking about me, "It's cute for Rafe and you." "Thanks, Bella, it's always good to hear such great compliments", Topper chuckles and lays his arm around my shoulder in a fraternal way.