escape

"Always have an escape plan."

"Hey, don't tie it down", JJ calls for Kie and Pope as soon as they come back, "We're leaving." Well, they came pretty late considering what has happened. Leaving is quite urgent. "What, why?", Kie replies confused not knowing what has happened. "What did you do all night?", John B counters with another question. "We slept at the beach", Pope informs us.

"Yeah, slept on the beach", JJ repeats his words mimicking the poor unsuspecting boy. "Rafe and Barry know that John B and Sarah are here", Sarah tells the two and they finally understand, "We stayed up all night and now have to get away from here." Kie and Pope jump back in the boat again, followed by us. Once again, we have to leave the chateau behind and Sarah and John B flee.

"When Rafe and Barry know about it, it's only a matter of time until everyone else knows", Kie reasons and we nod. "Shit." "I've told you we should have gone to the South", JJ reminds us but John B isn't amused. "Stop it." "Why does no one ever listen to me?" "I've got an idea", Sarah interrupts the boys and we all look at her full of expectation, "When I'm back again, my dad has to decide between Rafe and I."

"Sarah, please-" "He'll choose me, John B." "Listen to me. Ward is only going to lie to you again, for sure", John B warns her and Kie agrees. "Sarah, after everything that's happened, he's not going to help us." I know Ward but I've got no idea what I should think about this. Last year, I would have definitely said that Ward would choose Sarah over Rafe but after everything that has happened, he didn't turn his back on Rafe. He won't do it even if Sarah asks him to.

"I know that it sounds crazy-" "Yes it does!" "I know!", Sarah raises her voice, sighs and gets quieter again, „But he's my dad and I know that he loves me. I only need two hours." "Are you sure?", I ask her cautiously, "Should I come with you? Maybe it'll help." "It might. You've always been like a sister to me and a daughter to him, but I don't want you to get hurt by Rafe if he's around. I want you guys to be safe." "Okay. Take care."

She didn't take much time, only about an hour so I guess it went wrong. "Sarah!" "What happened?", JJ immediately asks and John B joins him. "How did it go?" As Sarah is coming back, I can see her being emotional and already know that Ward disappointed her. "I'm sorry, Sarah. Come here", I whisper pulling her into a hug which she definitely needed as she sobs into my shoulder.

"You've been right, it's useless. I'm sorry." "It's alright, Sarah. You gave it a go", I try to calm her down. "So you know what you're about to do", JJ leads, "We'll fill the boat and you guys get away as quickly as you can." "He's right. You'll need supplies and have to leave then", Pope agrees with JJ but Kie gives us a skeptical look.

"I think it's too late for that." "Did they follow you?", John B asks Sarah, "That's been your dad for sure." „We need another escape route", Pope reasons, "Let's go." "Wait at the beach with raised arms", a police officer orders us but we quickly run back to the mainland through the water and into the direction of the woods. Maybe we can them off there. „Sarah, are you okay?", I ask her as she's not able to run as quickly due to her wound. „JJ, help me", John B tells JJ and they both help Sarah so we can be faster. We finally reach the woods and I let out a relieved sigh mentally as I think we can get through this but then we hear a police siren. Shit.

„We're stuck." „What do we do now?", Pope asks and JJ pulls out the gun. „We have to fight our way through." Before JJ can do anything stupid that could cause him problems, I take his one hand in mine and take the gun with the other one. I look from my hand holding the gun to JJ and to John B who nods so I let it drop to the ground and cover it with the leaves. „Everything's going to be okay", John B whispers, „Let's go."

The police cars stop in front of us and the officers take their position pointing their gun into our direction. „John B, get away from the trees", Shoupe orders, „Get on the ground." „I surrender, Shoupe", John B informs him and I step forward but Shoupe sees that. „You stay where you are. I want to see your hands." „Listen to me, Shoupe, I want to testify." „You could have done that earlier." Before he can even defend himself verbally, John B is gripped roughly by another officer. „Hey, what's the point of that?", JJ yells next to me and we all cry when the officer beats John B strongly. „That's for Peterkin."

"He didn't even kill him", I repeat over and over again sitting in the back of Shoupe's car. He said he would be driving me back home and the other officer shoved John B into his car. Another one tried to make the others follow him but they denied. Why the hell does Shoupe have to take me with him then? I can't deal with that man.

Shoupe even claimed that he would be the only one who could deal with us kooks. Shit he can do. "Isabella, your words won't change anything at all. You can explain it a hundred times more. The Cameron's word is way more trustful. But try explaining this to your parents. They won't be amused to see you on my backseat."

"My parents are here?", I whisper shocked knowing that it's serious. They usually don't even come for my birthday anymore. Last time I saw them was when we all had dinner at the Cameron's. I think they're quite glad that they got rid of me like that. "They were with Ward and heard that we would be coming for John B so they asked me to bring you home." "Shit."

"For god's sake, what were you thinking?!", my mom exclaims the second that I get out of Shoupe's car. "What I was thinking? I was only doing the right thing!", I immediately shout back as I'm done discussing with them. I've tried so hard to be who they expect me to be and it's never enough. I tried to get their attention by having good grades and sending them letters and they never seemed to care. I'm so done with this family.

"I'm sorry for her behavior, Shoupe", my dad says and looks back to me, "Get in the house." "If I'm being honest with you, Harvey, Dana. I don't think that the pogues are a good environment for her, especially not JJ Maybank", I hear Shoupe behind me when I'm about to open the door so I turn around. He's definitely provoked me.

"Oh, shut up, Shoupe! JJ Maybank is way better than any of you precious kook will ever be! If you did your job right, you'd know that!" "Isabella! Get in. Now", my dad scolds and I'm taken aback by the sound of his voice. Knowing that it's useless to fight against any of them, I let my shoulders hang down and go in.