midsummers pt. 2

"You powerpuff girls have fun!"

"Hey Sir, can I get a Martini, please?", I ask the man who's standing on the balcony. "Of course, Mrs. Scott." When I take a few steps back into Sarah's direction, I hear my favorite voice from behind and turn around.

"I find glasses everywhere, even at the beach", JJ complains to one of the security guys, "Do me a favor and take care of the people. Don't you care about security?" "JJ!", I call him as he's carrying glasses around looking like one of the waiters, "What are you doing here?"

I almost forget myself and for a second I thought about kissing him but I remembered where we were. Not only is Kie here but also Topper, Rafe and literally every kook of Figure Eight. And even though Anna and Christian seem to like JJ, they wouldn't be pleased to see us together here as they've been waiting for this day for years.

"Thought you would want to see me with a bow tie", he grins. "Who are you looking for?", I wonder as his head turns to the dance floor, "Kie is on the balcony." But before JJ gets the chance to answer, Pope interrupts us unknowingly and pulls us aside. "Hey."

"Bro, you shouldn't sneak up to me like that. Oh, public display of affection, Dr. Spock. You know that I've got a girlfriend, right?", JJ replies while Pope hugs him tightly and kisses Pope's jawline, "It's alright, I love you, too." I love how easy they are when it comes to admitting feelings to someone. Not that JJ says he's in love with Pope but he loves him as a brother and that's normal for us. That's how we treat each other. "All this bullshit makes me sick, man."

"Sick? You don't look sick." "I'm sick on the inside." "Yeah but that's nothing new."

"Did Shoupe hit you?" JJ's face is decorated with some bruises and red spots. I would have asked him earlier but I thought the less he remembers what an ass his dad is, the more he can try to be happy. "Oh, that. That was my dad. Well, his right hook leaves traces like that."

"This wasn't only one right hook, JJ", I whisper and touch his cheek softly. I hate to see him like that. JJ deserves a good family, not a father like Luke. And what even hurts me more is to see how he pretends that everything is fine, that it is normal, and I can't even do anything about it as long as he doesn't let me.

"It didn't happen for the first time." He just shrugs his shoulders but anyone can see how broken he is on the inside. "I shouldn't have let you sacrifice yourself for me-" "Pope-" "It's my fault-" "No-" "Yes, it is." "Stop it-"

"You saved me. I will be honest. I'm going to go to the police and-" "Pope, man, stop it. You have to trust someone else for once in your life. John B and I have everything under control. We're going to be so fucking rich, guys. About the gold, we're back in the game."

"I thought that we've lost the gold game already?" "No, we're in the added time and to the five of us, there's one more. I'll be right back." "There's one more?", I repeat questioningly. "Just be calm, I'll explain you later", JJ answers for now and leaves so Pope and I stand there looking at each other with the exact same expression. We've got no idea what he's talking about.

Pope and I watch JJ talking to Sarah on the dance floor. It looks like he gave something to her and tried to be unsuspicious. Well, Rafe and Kelce still notice him and start a conversation. If you could call this a conversation. Rafe is not a person to have a normal conversation with anymore, at least not with JJ. As they all go inside of the Club, I decide to follow them.

"Isabella, where do you go?", Anna stops me on the balcony. "I just wanted to go in to get a new drink", I lie instinctively although I never do that. But I couldn't tell her 'I want to take a look at what Rafe and JJ are doing.'.

"Don't go in there, please", she sighs, "This is the midsummer celebration. As long as Rafe doesn't come up to you, you should especially avoid him as well."

"It's not about Rafe", I reply, "Didn't you see JJ? He went in there as well. I just want to see what they are doing to make sure they're fine."

"Isabella, there's security-" "I'll just have a look, I promise I'll be fine!"

I have no idea where they might have gone but from what I was able to see it looked like JJ was running away from Rafe. And where would JJ hide? My first guess are the toilets. So as soon as I'm close to the bathroom, I hear JJ's voice already. He's talking to someone about the others and his voice sounds as when he's joking. But who is he talking to? "Let's go", I hear the voice of an older man who reminds me of the security guy. That must be him.

"Fix your bow tie, my son. You look chic as well. I hope you powerpuff girls have a lot of fun!" JJ's voice gets louder which must mean that he's coming closer and while he's speaking the last words, him and the security guy come out of the bathroom and we exchange glances. One thing I have to admit is that I love JJ's humour. Even when it's not the right place or time to joke, he's still funny. I like that.

"Bella looks pretty hot for a pogue!", Someone yells from the bath room to JJ - Rafe. JJ snatched himself out of the security guy's arms and storms back into the room. I immediately follow as far as I can because they almost start fighting against amid the door.

"Stop it, that's enough." And with that, JJ is being taken away but of course, Rafe hasn't finished yet. "I wish you a good drive back to the Cut! We haven't finished this. It was nice seeing you again, JJ!"

As soon as he's done with that, Rafe finally realizes that I stand in front of him. I even smile because it's funny to see how selfish and arrogant he can be. I'm not going to complain about him anymore. He's changed. I have to accept that. I'm just going to laugh about it. "Bella." "Shut up and stay away from me and my friends, Rafe", I reply harshly, turn around and follow JJ.