Introduction

Putting in a plug for 'Clash of Cultures'! Do read it

Putting in a plug for 'Clash of Cultures'! Do read it...if you haven't already. Though, rest assured, you can also read this as a stand alone novel. 

This is a Romance Novel, but before you start reading, here is a quick overview about the medical training system in the US, where this book is based. Some of the timelines I mention will make more sense if you know this.

High school graduates will typically do a pre-med undergraduate degree first - 4 years degree

Then you do medical school - 4 years degree

Most immigrant physicians go straight from high school into medical school (usually 5-6 years, instead of 4 as in the US)

After this you get accepted to a residency program (Adult Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Surgery, Family Medicine...etc). Depending on the residency, this part of the training can be anywhere from 3 years (which is standard for Adult Internal Medicine and Pediatrics) or up to 5-7 years (for the Surgery programs). In the first year of a residency program, you are basically an intern. The last year of residency is when you get the label of a senior resident. After completing this you can be a fully-licensed physician. 

After you go through a residency program, and if you are interested in sub-specialization (like cardiology, neurology etc.) you spend a further >2 years doing a fellowship in that particular area.

Finally, after all that you become an attending (equivalent to a consultant in other countries).

In summary, undergraduate --> medical school --> residency --> fellowship --> attending

People do other trainings in between as well. Like a PhD that is typically 5-7 years. 

Much of this story takes place during the start of the COVID pandemic which is why you'll notice time stamps. I actually wrote this story during the Omicron surge, when even our children's hospitals were filling up. And writing this was just my way of processing some of what I was seeing. 

I know that many people were affected during that time, so I have no intention of romanticizing the tough times. But that was also an exceptionally hard time for physicians, especially those that have strong family ties to other countries across the globe. And I hoped to bring to light that hardship, which has really been unique to the immigrant physician population. 

There are also comments about other contemporary social issues, that happened in the US. But led to some deep soul searching among the desi community both here and back home. 

Finally, again this is a Romance Novel...there will be no doubt about it when you read it. But its characters also cannot escape from the world around them, just as we can't in real life. 

So I hope you join me on this journey, and read, comment and vote on the story as it unfolds. Make this story your own, and live through its characters.

*Loosely inspired by real life events*

**Patients mentioned in this story are purely fictional characters**

***This story contains some heavy themes like loss of life, isolation and social injustice...and the pandemic***

Note: Guys if you decide to read this...please, please, please, vote and comment. I am new at writing fiction so any feedback would be much appreciated. If you don't like the book, that's totally cool too, but I'd still appreciate feedback. Thanks!