23. Sisters

April 2020

Madiha

April 30: FDA authorizes emergency use of remdesivir (abcNEWS)

While the data for remdesivir looks promising, and hydroxychloroquine less so, experts warn data so far is limited, and right now there's no silver bullet cure for COVID-19. "In this pandemic, the field is changing rapidly. What we know now is changing from what we knew three months ago -- most fields don't change that rapidly," said Dr. Neera Ahuja, division chief of hospital medicine at the Stanford School of Medicine. "We have to keep reevaluating as we go along. What drug looks good right now might not be the best looking one in two weeks."

It was late afternoon as I sat at my newly assigned desk in the Chief Resident's office trying to focus on learning more about the drug remdesivir that had provided a glimmer of hope to the world with its modest impact on COVID mortality. Yet, all I could think about were the words 'You, Madi. Just you'. Whispered mere inches from my face they still sent a shiver down my spine. 

For a woman who went through one rejected rishta after another, this was not a position I ever thought I would find myself in; basking in the pure love of one man and confused by the unexpected obsession of another.

My phone rang, it was my sister. 

"Maliha, did you talk to your mother-in-law?" I blurted out even before greeting her. 

"Yes Madi, I did. I told her that you were interested in someone else and that Faraz bhai's behavior was not acceptable," I could hear the edge in her voice, and I hoped to God she would had gotten into trouble with her new in-laws because of me. Yet, I had no choice but to reach out to her. My own parents brushed away my concerns, and I vowed never to talk to Faraz again. Having Maliha be the voice of reason was my only option. 

"Was Sakina Aunty upset? I hope she wasn't mean to you."

"She wasn't. She was actually quite appalled herself at Faraz bhai, and had no idea about you and Omar bhai. But Madi..." she paused, the edge in her voice was replaced by a solemn pledge. "I am your sister. You've been my shield God knows how many times. Rest assured, I will be no less protective of you. If my new family tries to force you into something, they'll have to go through me."

I couldn't help chuckling at the sweet determination in her voice, "Bohat bari ho gayi ho." (You've grown up quite a lot)

She laughed, "Choti tou abhi bhi houn, I just asked myself WWMD." (I am still young)

What would Madi do, was her mantra when things got tough. She had told me that on the day of her wedding. Today I could safely I wasn't just impressed at her maturity, I sought comfort in her voice and words. I didn't have to bear the burden of a big sister alone. I had a younger one who had my back even when I wasn't looking. 

Omar

Today was my day 'off'.

Though 'off' in my world these days meant that I spent that time in Dr Sanders lab trying to make a mark, as insignificant as it may be, on the growing body of evidence that the severity of COVID was related to the immune response triggered by the virus more than the virus itself. 

 "You're back again? I asked you take the day off, son," Dr Sanders looked over her reading glasses at me. 

"There is so much to do," I replied. And so little to do at home, I thought. 

"The techs are working on it."

"Yes, but they don't have a PhD in respiratory viruses, Dr Sanders. I do. So I might as well put it to use."