35. Apology

June 2020

Omar

June 15: Relaxing lockdown, SOPs' violation led to increase in Covid-19 cases: Punjab health official (Dawn News)

Violations of standard operating procedures (SOPs) for the novel coronavirus before and during Eid holidays have changed the trend of cases in the federal capital.

Due to the increasing cases, the total number of patients in the capital has surpassed the figure of 8,000 and two sub-sectors of G-9 have been sealed. Moreover, some more areas may be locked down in coming days as they also meet the requirements of declaring them hotspots.

Naeem Uncle had mentioned on the phone that parts of Karachi would be going in lockdown too. It would be part of a 'smart lockdown' strategy the government had adopted to focus on high COVID prevalence sections of the city, sparing the economies of other areas. Whether we would be a part of that lockdown or not, was still unknown. 

"Any news about the BiPap machine?" Ami asked as we both sat at the breakfast table, and I was already on my second cup of coffee. 

"No, but Naeem Uncle said to give him till noon."

Silence descended on the table after that. Partly, because I wasn't sure what to say anymore or even how to feel. 

Last night unfolded in ways I never anticipated. Somehow, I transitioned from staunchly vowing to keep Madi's name out of this house to articulating the multitude of reasons why I was unequivocally and entirely in love with her. And that she was an indispensable part of my life, a commitment I could never compromise on.

Maybe, it was the fact that I craved her presence in those challenging times. Or perhaps, even as an adult I was still my parents' child. Whatever it was, and despite my attempts to downplay the significance of their approval, their endorsement of our relationship had suddenly seemed important. 

After finishing a quick breakfast, I was about to get up from the table when Ami reached out and placed her hand over mine. "Omar," the tenderness in her voice still felt like a dream. 

Yet, everything was real. My parents had seemed to change their mind about Madi and I, and it wasn't just a superficial, spur-of-the-moment acceptance. Abu had apologized through wet eyes last night, while Ami nodded in the corner. And right then, my mother was asking me for something I never thought she would. 

"Would Madiha be awake right now?" she asked me. 

"Yes. Why?" 

Ami smiled, warmth permeating her ageing eyes, "If its ok with you, I'd like to talk to her."

Something told me Madi wouldn't mind talking to her either. 

*******

While waiting for Madi's response to my text, the doorbell rang. A man in his 60s, dressed in crisp khaki pants and a blue collared shirt, stood before me, holding a BiPap machine. 

I immediately recognized him. He bore more wrinkles than in the past, and his receding hairline indicated the passage of years since our last encounter. Yet, the kindness in his dark brown eyes remained unchanged. It brought back memories of the gentleness he had shown when Sehr and I were children, eagerly anticipating visits to Abu's factory and the delightful moments when he shared his hidden stash of candy with us.

"Assalama Alaikum. Aap Omar hain?" the man questioned. Clearly, I had changed considerably since the last time I met him. (Are you Omar?)

"Ji. Naeem Uncle, mein Omar houn." (Yes, I am)