24. Movie Night

May 2020

Omar

May 15: COVID-19 Daily Update (S&P Global)

As lifted lockdowns aim to soften some short-term economic pain caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the outlook for the global economy continues to deteriorate. The global death toll has surpassed 300,000, according to Johns Hopkins University, but many experts agree the toll is almost certainly higher. Governments and central banks are advancing their stimulus as unemployment continues to rise, and both demand and consumption across sectors declines.

Standing alone outside the COVID field hospital without my mask, I took a deep breath of fresh air, but instantly regretted opening my phone screen. The very first 'news alert' was a reminder of how frustratingly obnoxious and unfair my father was at a time when when the global economic downturn was hurting everyone, especially the unemployed. 

Or in this case, the unjustly accused.  

The glimmer of hope I had two weeks ago quickly disappeared when my desperate call to Pakistan was finally answered. 

Abu, do you not find it even a little but suspicious that Shadab bhai has the same bag that Naeem sahab used to take the money from your safe? I had tried to reason with my father. 

Listen to me carefully, Omar because I am not going to repeat myself, came his venomous reply. This so called love of yours for a low-class girl is blinding you. How dare you accuse your own cousin of  stealing when that namak haraam Naeem was caught red-handed? How much more will you disappoint me? 

He said he never wanted to hear about this issue again and hung up. Shutting the only avenue I had been able to find for convincing my parents about Madi and I. Yet, standing out here, reading through the article that had randomly popped up on my screen, I took it as a sign that I needed to step up. Not to prove to anyone that I wasn't the disappointment my father considered me to be or because Naeem sahab was Madi's uncle. But because at the end of the day, it was my family that was hurting an innocent man. 

It would have to be my family who rectified it as well. 

I called another Pakistani number and waited patiently, till an excited female came on FaceTime. "Omar, bro. What's up?"

Smiling at my psuedo-westernized cousin who was always the social outcast of our family, I replied, "Assalam Alaikum, Saima. I'm good. How have you been?"

"Eh," she shrugged. "About ready to murder my brother one of these days, but other than that I'm peachy. But you tell. Aaj apni awesome cousin ko kasai yaad kiya hai?" (How did you remember your awesome cousin today?)

"I need a favor."

She gave me grief for only calling her when I needed her. But unlike my father, didn't hesitate at all when I told her what I was hoping she could do. 

"You want me to hire Mr. Naeem in my boutique." She tilted her head to the side. "You do realize that most businesses including mine are operating with minimal staff these days?"

"I know. But I am convinced that he is an honest man with children, and a wife with medical needs. I'll finance his position even. Just hire him as a staff manager or something and tell me where I can send funds for that position."

"Oh, that's ok. I believe you," she shrugged. "There is no bigger thief than my brother anyway."

And that's all it took. Saima said she needed a manager, if not now then in the near future. She was a big name in bridal wear in Pakistan. Pandemic or not, weddings were not going to pause for too long she predicted. Which is why, she insisted on just funding the position herself.