26. Isolation

May 2020

Omar

May 18: Moderna reports positive data on early-stage coronavirus vaccine trial, shares surge - CNBC. Moderna's closely watched early-stage human trial for a coronavirus vaccine produced Covid-19 antibodies in all 45 participants. Each participant received a 25, 100 or 250 microgram dose, with 15 people in each dose group. At day 43, or two weeks following the second dose, levels of binding antibodies in the 25 microgram group were at the levels generally seen in blood samples from people who recovered from the disease.

"Hey Omar. Did you read about the new vaccine against COVID?" my co-intern, Elijah called out to me as we waited in line to have our temperature checked at the hospital entrance.

"The mRNA vaccine? Yeah, pretty cool technology."

"Is it safe though? It seems like the technology came out of nowhere and now they're it testing on humans," he asked the question on everyone's mind. I was ready with an answer, putting my PhD to use. 

"That's not entirely true, mRNA vaccines have been used in cancer research for over a decade and have been tested on humans before as well without reports of any major side effects. Besides the mRNA technologies that pharma companies are using as well as nanoparticles in which the mRNA is packaged is pretty well studied. I even worked with mRNA during my PhD."

He stayed quiet for a few seconds before replying, "So you're saying that these vaccines are essentially a combination of two methods that separately are well established and probably safe?"

"Exactly. I would sign up for the vaccine trial in a heartbeat if our institution was part of that clinical trial," I answered truthfully. 

"You might be in luck," he leaned in, and whispered. "I've heard our hospital will be a research site for the next phase of the trial. I'll sign up to get the shot if you will."

That was the best news I had heard all week. I trusted the science behind these vaccines. I was working in conditions that put me at such high risk of contracting the virus, an experimental vaccine with initial good results seemed like a much safer option. Why wouldn't I sign up to get the vaccine then? 

"I will surely sign up then."

Elijah told me not to tell anyone else, yet. But how could I not tell her

Me: You won't believe this. Moderna will be conducting a vaccine trial here. Want to be a Guinea pig with me?

*******

My very first rotation in this hospital was in the ER. Since then, I had done several more shifts here. By all accounts then, I should know everything there was to know about Chicago's busiest ER. Yet, every time I had been assigned to this shift in the last 2 months I ended up in a different part of the hospital.

"The parking garage?" I asked an equally bewildered Elijah.

"Yeah man, that's exactly what I said. Looks like the main ER and the expanded section are still not enough to keep up with the influx of patients. So, they've had to set up a tent ER service in the garage."

"Fabulous." I didn't bother hiding the sarcasm in my voice as I trudged up the stairs behind my co-intern.

It wasn't so much that I disliked working in a makeshift ER, or that I didn't want to play my part in taking care of patients, it was more that the moment I saw the line at the entrance of the white tent that spanned an entire floor of the parking garage I knew I'd be staying later than the official end of my shift.